Old 08-06-2003, 02:32 PM
GR

Default Honeysuckle mildew - can anything be done?

One of the two honeysuckles in our back garden is suffering very badly
from white, powdery mildew. It's being grown up a trellis to help
obscure the back wall of our garage and is now about six feet high
but, the young growth at the top of the plant apart, the foliage is
now looking very unhappy.

Is there anything that I can do to kill the mildew? The information
I've found on the web doesn't talk about cure, only prevention;
spraying the plant with a fungicide, keeping it watered (which I
thought we *had* been) and burning mildewed foliage.

If I attacked the plant with fungicide, would that clear up the
problem, or is existing mildew there to stay?

Cheers,

Gareth
Old 08-06-2003, 07:08 PM
David Hill

This is one of the problems with growing honeysuckle against a wall, there
is a lot of stagnant air so you can get a build up of humidity, just right
for mildew. Some varieties are more prone, and I find the worst to be the
little yellow leafed Lonicera Japonica aureo reticulata.
If you think of it, Honeysuckle is a hedge row plant where it has air moving
through it

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Charlie Pridham

"David Hill" wrote in message
This is one of the problems with growing honeysuckle against a wall, there
is a lot of stagnant air so you can get a build up of humidity, just right
for mildew. Some varieties are more prone, and I find the worst to be the
little yellow leafed Lonicera Japonica aureo reticulata.
If you think of it, Honeysuckle is a hedge row plant where it has air

moving
through it

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

I agree with David the L. japonica types can be dreadfull for mildew (never
says that on the label!) if you want a hardy evergreen scented honeysuckle
try Lonicera japonica 'Acumen' which always has good foliage
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk