Old 05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Mike

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

In article , Kay Easton
writes

And in all honesty, I'd find it very hard to give up my computer and all
my other energy guzzling conforts of modern life.

and there you have it :-))

I am afraid that until we 'ALL' give up something or become more
environmentally conscious, then there is no hope... 'We are
dooooooooomed' as Fraser would say.

British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 05-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article pan.2003.07.05.09.11.02.265430@
molnir.demon.co.uk, Sarah Dale writes

I think the legislative drive will hopefully help things along. What we
really need to do is ensure all goods made are 100% recyclable, and made
in a substainable way.

And cut down on the packaging!!

That won't happen until the Nuke Whitehall party gets in :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Brian Watson

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article pan.2003.07.05.09.11.02.265430@
molnir.demon.co.uk, Sarah Dale writes

I think the legislative drive will hopefully help things along. What we
really need to do is ensure all goods made are 100% recyclable, and made
in a substainable way.

And cut down on the packaging!!

I've never understood why it's so apparently important to put one thing that
comes wrapped, say a sealed plastic tray of meat, into another flimsy
plastic bag as it passes through the checkout. Then, of course it gets put
into another plastic (carrier) bag.

Duh!?

And why shrink-wrap swedes and turnips and broccoli in plastic that it takes
a sharp knife to penetrate?

Too silly!

--
Brian
"I'm convinced there's something spooky about death. There's a lot of stuff

Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

And change the culture where you get rid of things because they are no
longer fashionable or not the latest model, rather than because they've
ceased to function.

LOL. Every few decades, our household stuff comes back in fashion.
Habitat brought back our 1980 chesterfield sofa; and our 1960's
stainless steel cooking and dining stuff is currently enjoying another
spell of being dead trendy.

We're currently trying to think of a new use for a 1970 goosedown
double duvet whose cambric cover has definitely ceased to function as a
feather-container...I want to let the filling out to compost it, but
John says this would be a Bad Idea. Can't think why.

But how to do it? It'll probably only happen when our disposable incomes
are too low to allow us any other choice

And in all honesty, I'd find it very hard to give up my computer

Eeek, no need to go to sacrificial extremes, Kay..there are perfectly
usable recycled computers ;-)

Janet.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Serena Blanchflower

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 00:52:41 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

We're currently trying to think of a new use for a 1970 goosedown
double duvet whose cambric cover has definitely ceased to function as a
feather-container...I want to let the filling out to compost it, but
John says this would be a Bad Idea. Can't think why.

Could he be worried about feather bedding your plants?

Sorry about that. I don't know about the pros and cons of composting
goosedown, but I have some rather luxurious garden cushions which my
mother made out of a deceased duvet.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

We're currently trying to think of a new use for a 1970 goosedown
double duvet whose cambric cover has definitely ceased to function as a
feather-container...I want to let the filling out to compost it, but
John says this would be a Bad Idea. Can't think why.

I composted one of mine. If you add it to the heap in early spring, it
can also possibly act as a source of nest material. But if you feel
really masochistic, you could buy some down-proof fabric and re-cover it

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Chris

In article m, dommy
writes
I may get one from them, at £10 its not a lot of money. Only problem
seems to be the turning i guess. I am also thinking of building a 1
cubic metre bin out of old palletes. Put them side by side and see how
things go from there.

You could make a Huker bin. They are a one metre cube, which is
optimum.

I have an original, which I've made extra pieces for - but, if I were to
start from scratch, I would use 5" x 1" gravel boards @ a quid a metre.
--
Chris