Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default aeonium propagation

I've recently acquired a handsome almost black one from a plant sale,
and have read "it can easily be propagated from cuttings". Since mine
only has one stalk atm, I'm hoping that means leaf cuttings :-)

Has anyone tried propagating this plant?

Janet
Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I've recently acquired a handsome almost black one from a plant sale,
and have read "it can easily be propagated from cuttings". Since mine
only has one stalk atm, I'm hoping that means leaf cuttings :-)

Has anyone tried propagating this plant?

Janet

If you wait janet it will produce side branches or you can simple cut the
top off! it will the regrow multiheaded. do the cuttings like pelargoniums
(on the dry side) don't panic if it turns green in winter the dark colour is
a response to strong light, it will go dark again in spring.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:04:48 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

I've recently acquired a handsome almost black one from a plant sale,
and have read "it can easily be propagated from cuttings". Since mine
only has one stalk atm, I'm hoping that means leaf cuttings :-)

Has anyone tried propagating this plant?

Janet

By coincidence, I've just taken about half a dozen cuttings from mine,
side shoots as Charlie says (I've got four plants already!). But with
my first plant I just decapitated it, also as per Charlie. Let the cut
surfaces dry for a day or two before potting them up.

--
Chris

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

By coincidence, I've just taken about half a dozen cuttings from mine,
side shoots as Charlie says (I've got four plants already!). But with
my first plant I just decapitated it, also as per Charlie. Let the cut
surfaces dry for a day or two before potting them up.

Thanks to both..will have a go.
Do you put yours under cover for winter? I know Charlie's in a mild
area, not sure where you are Chris.

Janet
Old 26-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:20:54 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

By coincidence, I've just taken about half a dozen cuttings from mine,
side shoots as Charlie says (I've got four plants already!). But with
my first plant I just decapitated it, also as per Charlie. Let the cut
surfaces dry for a day or two before potting them up.

Thanks to both..will have a go.
Do you put yours under cover for winter? I know Charlie's in a mild
area, not sure where you are Chris.

Janet

They will only take light frost for a short period, but mine are all
outdoors (I'm even further west than Charlie). They're quite common in
gardens of west Cornwall.

--
Chris

Old 27-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Charlie Pridham

wrote:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

By coincidence, I've just taken about half a dozen cuttings from mine,
side shoots as Charlie says (I've got four plants already!). But with
my first plant I just decapitated it, also as per Charlie. Let the cut
surfaces dry for a day or two before potting them up.

Thanks to both..will have a go.
Do you put yours under cover for winter? I know Charlie's in a mild
area, not sure where you are Chris.

Janet

They will only take light frost for a short period, but mine are all
outdoors (I'm even further west than Charlie). They're quite common in
gardens of west Cornwall.

--
Chris

Sorry Janet I should have said, mine are in a pot and come in for winter,
too cold and or wet here for them.

Old 28-06-2003, 11:45 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Do you put yours under cover for winter? I know Charlie's in a mild
area, not sure where you are Chris.

Janet

They will only take light frost for a short period, but mine are all
outdoors (I'm even further west than Charlie). They're quite common in
gardens of west Cornwall.

Sorry Janet I should have said, mine are in a pot and come in for winter,
too cold and or wet here for them.

Oh good, different advice, so eventually I can try both :-) The
opportunities to test very tender stuff here will probably lead to some
losses, but tender plants are such a novelty I can't resist trying. Atm
he's in a wide pot with black ophiopogon (sp?) very dark houseleeks
whose name I forget, and some purple stones from the beach.

Janet.