Old 30-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Sarah

Default Surfinia

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the plant "Surfinia" can be grown from seeds as I
cant seem to find any, I read that they grow them from cuttings but surely
there must be seeds in the first place to grow the plant? Your thoughts
please.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
annet planten

"Sarah" schreef:

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the plant "Surfinia" can be grown from seeds

as I
cant seem to find any, I read that they grow them from cuttings but

surely
there must be seeds in the first place to grow the plant? Your

thoughts
please.

No Sarah, there are no seeds. Surfinia is sterile, patented,
copyrighted and so on. Growers buy tiny plants from Moerheim New
Plants, the firm that 'breeds' them from pieces of plant-tissue. By
the millions...
You could try the only possible way to grow them: by cuttings from the
one plant you have to buy now Just put then in water, in a dark
glass on a moderate warm windowsill, and hope they root. With lots of
care you may try to overwinter them.

If you buy that one Surfinia: there's only one I know off that really
smells lovely, bleakish purple blooming. All the others, including
Surfinia's patented, copyrighted, sterile sisters-in-law Millionbells,
are odorless.

Bye, Annet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buxus, catalpa, hortensia; luizen, slakken en buren...
wat doe je ermee en hoe? Lees de FAQ van nl.tuinen!
http://www.in-de-tuin.dds.nl/nl-tuinen/FAQ/tuinen.htm
Old 02-07-2003, 12:00 AM
David Hill

Last year I had over 20 seed pods on Surfinia, but mislaid them somewhere.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
annet planten

"David Hill" schreef:

Last year I had over 20 seed pods on Surfinia, but mislaid them

somewhere.

Sorry to hear that.
But those seeds would be sterile. So you better stop hunting for
them, although miraces might happen. You might find yourself with some
brandnew Petunia

Some years ago, I applied for a job as Surfinia-inspector. That is:
going to Sweden and France etcetera, to inspect the growth and
uniformity of the ehm, well.. seedlings. Moerheim didn't want me, but
in between I learned something on the wonderful world of cloning and
patenting, an activity I never suspected behind the old facade of the
rose-breeder my Gran ordered her plants from.

regards, Annet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancashire

D.T.BrownPoulton Le Fylde Lancs sell "Ramblin'Petunia" seed.
Not a true Surfinia they are protected by more laws than I am.
However I would suggest you will not be disappointed.
D.T.Brown do have their own website.
Regards
Gorssejoe
Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
annet planten

"David Hill" schreef:

Last year I had over 20 seed pods on Surfinia, but mislaid them

somewhere.

Sorry to hear that.
But those seeds would be sterile. So you better stop hunting for
them, although miracles might happen. You might find yourself with
some brandnew Petunia

Some years ago, I applied for a job as Surfinia-inspector. That is:
going to Sweden and France etcetera, to inspect the growth and
uniformity of the ehm, well.. seedlings.
Moerheim didn't want me, but in between I learned something on the
wonderful world of cloning and patenting, an activity I never
suspected behind the old facade of the rose-breeder my Granny ordered
her plants from.
see also http://www.suntorycollection.info

regards, Annet

Buxus, catalpa, hortensia; luizen, slakken en buren...
wat doe je ermee en hoe? Lees de FAQ van nl.tuinen!
http://www.in-de-tuin.dds.nl/nl-tuinen/FAQ/tuinen.htm

Petunia surfinia supplier? Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 4 01-04-2005 01:06 AM
Surfinia petunias help Diane Epps United Kingdom 2 28-07-2004 09:18 PM
Taking cuttings of Surfinia Big Fat Baz United Kingdom 1 29-04-2004 07:07 PM
Surfinia Sarah United Kingdom 0 30-06-2003 11:20 PM
Surfinia Bigfoot United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 07:32 PM