Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Jonathan Ward

Default Bunching onions

Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions. What are
they? None of my reference books mention them.

Thanks

--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Old 01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Jonathan Ward wrote:
: Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions.
: What are they? None of my reference books mention them.
:
: Thanks

It's a new one they are testing. They have sent you a report sheet to
send back if you feel like it. I had mine the weekend and you just
reminded me to plant them and see how they do. We will have to exchange
notes later!

Robert
The Devil's Advocate

www.pafc.co.uk

Old 01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Jonathan Ward
writes
Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions. What are
they? None of my reference books mention them.

Bunching onions are (or were) maincrop bulbing onions, preferably of a
white skinned variety, picked while the bulb is still small, but while
the tops are still fresh and green. The whole of the plant other than
the root can be used in the kitchen at that stage - they are especially
good thin sliced into salads. The are (or used to be), tied into bunches
of six or ten for sale, hence their name. We used to grow them from very
early planted sets, and they came just nicely to fill the +- May onion
gap when last year's maincrop in store are showing shoots, but this
year's crop are not ready to harvest as mature bulbs.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Ron

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
news
In article , Jonathan Ward
writes
Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions. What

are
they? .

Snip

The are (or used to be), tied into bunches

ANd called spring onions - but under the trade descriptions act (or some
b - - - - y EU rule) they had to be renamed!

regards

Ron

Old 02-07-2003, 10:33 AM
David Hill

What we called spring onions or salad onions

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 02-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
Marshalls have just sent me a trial seed packet of bunching onions. What

are
they? None of my reference books mention them.

Mightn't be something like Welsh onions, might they? Or Egyptian onions?
Both are really handy perennials that form bunches, you split them in spring
if you want to, and keep cutting greens from them through the season as you
need them? As long as you don't cut to much and feed them once in a while
you've got a bunch by next summer?