Old 01-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Albertine

Default Feeding Robins

Every morning a couple of robins hop into my kitchen and enjoy the few
crumbs of bread I toss on the mat for them. I'm wondering if there is
anything more tasty I could offer my visitors - or maybe I shouldn't
encourage them to feed food they haven't snapped up - naturally - from
the garden?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Melanie G
Old 01-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Paul D.Smith

I believe robins prefer worms etc. If you want to provide food, you might
consider a trip to the local fishing tackle stockists for some maggots. On
the other hand, especially at this time of year I would suggest that young
robins might need to learn to fend for themselves.

Paul DS.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Steven Pilbeam

http://www.ria.org.uk/cdouglas/subjects/feeding.htm

Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
M C C

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:14:11 +0100, Albertine wrote:

Every morning a couple of robins hop into my kitchen and enjoy the few
crumbs of bread I toss on the mat for them. I'm wondering if there is
anything more tasty I could offer my visitors - or maybe I shouldn't
encourage them to feed food they haven't snapped up - naturally - from
the garden?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Melanie G

Robins just love mealworms. They are available by mail order from CJ wildbird
foods at http://www.birdfood.co.uk/
They keep perfectly well in their tubs in the fridge. If you don't keep them
cold they turn into flies :-)
--
M C C

Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Tony Bond

M C C wrote:
They keep perfectly well in their tubs in the fridge. If you don't
keep them cold they turn into flies :-)

Nah, you're thinking of maggots, mealworms turn into beatles

Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Tim

wrote:

Every morning a couple of robins hop into my kitchen and enjoy the few
crumbs of bread I toss on the mat for them. I'm wondering if there is
anything more tasty I could offer my visitors - or maybe I shouldn't
encourage them to feed food they haven't snapped up - naturally - from
the garden?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Melanie G

Robins just love mealworms. They are available by mail order from CJ
wildbird
foods at http://www.birdfood.co.uk/ They keep perfectly well in their
tubs in the fridge. If you don't keep them
cold they turn into flies :-)

Beetles, actually.
Tim.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:20 PM
M C C

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:20:24 GMT, "Tony Bond"
wrote:

M C C wrote:
They keep perfectly well in their tubs in the fridge. If you don't
keep them cold they turn into flies :-)

Nah, you're thinking of maggots, mealworms turn into beatles

i don't believe I said 'flies' :-) I know that they are the larvae of the meal
beetle, and still I said 'flies' - what a plonker!
--
M C C
Old 01-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Tim

wrote:

M C C wrote:
They keep perfectly well in their tubs in the fridge. If you don't
keep them cold they turn into flies :-)

Nah, you're thinking of maggots, mealworms turn into beatles

i don't believe I said 'flies' :-) I know that they are the larvae of the
meal
beetle, and still I said 'flies' - what a plonker!

Yep. Only kidding.
Tim.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Lee

They really are cheeky little devils...

When we moved into our house, we laid a new lawn and whilst doing so, we
were helped by Mr Robbin eating all the leatherjackets.
He got pretty brave and eventually he would take them from your hand.
Two years later (a long time in robbin terms) we have a Mr and Mrs Robbin
and Robin Jnr all eating from the hand, in fact they regularly pop in the
back door and eat the crumbs off the carpet!!!!
we found the ideal thing for them... in fact they chose it themselves...
I was sitting eating my lunch in the back garden, on looking up there was Mr
Robbin sitting on my plate eating my pork pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So our family of Robbins, eat pork pies and they love it....
In fact they always have a song for us, and keep you company when your in
the garden!
Hurrah for the robin!

Old 01-07-2003, 04:21 PM
M C C

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:07:45 +0100, "Lee" wrote:

They really are cheeky little devils...

When we moved into our house, we laid a new lawn and whilst doing so, we
were helped by Mr Robbin eating all the leatherjackets.
He got pretty brave and eventually he would take them from your hand.
Two years later (a long time in robbin terms) we have a Mr and Mrs Robbin
and Robin Jnr all eating from the hand, in fact they regularly pop in the
back door and eat the crumbs off the carpet!!!!
we found the ideal thing for them... in fact they chose it themselves...
I was sitting eating my lunch in the back garden, on looking up there was Mr
Robbin sitting on my plate eating my pork pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So our family of Robbins, eat pork pies and they love it....
In fact they always have a song for us, and keep you company when your in
the garden!
Hurrah for the robin!

It's no wonder they were voted our national bird.

One of the magic moments of my life happened one day on my allotment. My son
David was kneeling down on a low turf wall removing unwanted debris from where I
had just double dug. A robin came and perched on the heel of his boot, spotted
something in the soil that took his fancy, grabbed it and took it back to
David's boot heel to eat. This happened several times before he had had enough.
As I said a magic moment.

--
M C C

Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Tim

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:19:44 +0100, M C C wrote:

[...]

In Austria robins are pretty uncommon. The local equivalent is the
redstart, but it's much more timid and realy not the same. When this winter
I often saw a pair or robins around the garden I was over the moon, much to
the amusement of SWMBO. It was the first robin I'd seen in over 10 years. I
even knocked-up a robin-freindly nesting box in my enthusiasm, but they
weren#t interested :-( The robins don't come around any more, maybe
they'll be back in the Autumn when they get hungry again.
Tim.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Albertine contains these words:

Every morning a couple of robins hop into my kitchen and enjoy the few
crumbs of bread I toss on the mat for them. I'm wondering if there is
anything more tasty I could offer my visitors - or maybe I shouldn't
encourage them to feed food they haven't snapped up - naturally - from
the garden?

My aunt used to have a tame robin who was partial to grated cheese.
They are supposed to like live mealworms (from birdfood suppliers) but I
can't say ours took much interest in them. Ours prefer worms and are
always underfoot when I'm digging.

Janet.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Brian Watson

"Albertine" wrote in message
Every morning a couple of robins hop into my kitchen and enjoy the few
crumbs of bread I toss on the mat for them. I'm wondering if there is
anything more tasty I could offer my visitors - or maybe I shouldn't
encourage them to feed food they haven't snapped up - naturally - from
the garden?

Mine are regular stuffers on the seedy stuff that fills my hanging bird
feeder.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."