Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Mike

Default Bay Trees

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Mike wrote:

This is what we have found. They almost grow like weeds, but when I
mentioned this before on this newsgroup, someone said that they were not
the edible/seasoning Bay but something else, even Laurel, but 'er
indoors, the cook' said no, they are the edible ones.

Boggle. I have never seen them set viable seeds in the UK, and they
haven't naturalised. Bean says that the sexes are on different trees,
so it is possible that most of the ones grown in the UK are of one
sex (like gingko).

So there is the answer, find someone with a mature tree and soldier on
with little seedlings.

No - a breeding pair :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ours has flowers on and we are quite prepared to send you some if you
doubt the authenticity of the tree/leaves.

BUT, and please bear this in mind, we are on the South Coast, very close
to Ventnor Botanical Gardens, who grow all sorts of things which 'cannot
grow in the UK' :-)))

OK so we are 'overseas', but still with a PO post code ;-}

PO? Portsmouth dearie

Mike and 'er outdoors and I do wish she would get indoors and cook my
dinner.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
AndWhyNot

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:32:38 +0100, Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson
wrote:

Not always. Our local nursery/garden centre (which is called Baytree, so
perhaps they're making a point of some kind) regularly has small ones
for £1.99 and I think sometimes £1. It might be worth shopping around.

Janet G

Ooohh is that the Lincolnshire Baytree garden Centre ??

Old 05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message m
from AndWhyNot contains these words:

wrote:

Not always. Our local nursery/garden centre (which is called Baytree, so
perhaps they're making a point of some kind) regularly has small ones
for £1.99 and I think sometimes £1. It might be worth shopping around.

Janet G

Ooohh is that the Lincolnshire Baytree garden Centre ??

Yes, that's the one.

Janet G

Old 06-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 5 Jul 2003 16:03:34 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Mike wrote:

This is what we have found. They almost grow like weeds, but when I
mentioned this before on this newsgroup, someone said that they were not
the edible/seasoning Bay but something else, even Laurel, but 'er
indoors, the cook' said no, they are the edible ones.

Boggle. I have never seen them set viable seeds in the UK, and they
haven't naturalised. Bean says that the sexes are on different trees,
so it is possible that most of the ones grown in the UK are of one
sex (like gingko).

Over here in the colonies, nurserymen seem to be growing bays
from seed and there are both males and females around. It's not a
common garden plant here, being slightly on the tender side, but
by no means a rarity, and it wouldn't surprise me if females in
sunny situations set seed.

I have no idea where the seed comes from.

So there is the answer, find someone with a mature tree and soldier on
with little seedlings.

No - a breeding pair :-)

Right.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
David Hill

Grows well from seed

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 02:47 AM
David Hill

Grows well from seed

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Kay Easton

In article MPG.1972b779be4618969897d1@lateinos, Warwick
writes

Last year, when we moved in here I bought a bay for the garden, this one
was a couple of quid and had half a dozen leaves and Jo said nothing
about the size. After mildew, leaf miners, vine weevils and blackspot
hit in over the winter and spring it has recently started to recover and
is now triple the size and may well be harvested from next year.

I'm so lucky! When we moved in here there were already 3 bay trees. The
largest is now up to roof level, and every year I prune huge armfuls off
all three to keep them in some sorts of bounds.

The smell when I do it is wonderful :-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Mike

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article MPG.1972b779be4618969897d1@lateinos, Warwick
writes

Last year, when we moved in here I bought a bay for the garden, this one
was a couple of quid and had half a dozen leaves and Jo said nothing
about the size. After mildew, leaf miners, vine weevils and blackspot
hit in over the winter and spring it has recently started to recover and
is now triple the size and may well be harvested from next year.

I'm so lucky! When we moved in here there were already 3 bay trees. The
largest is now up to roof level, and every year I prune huge armfuls off
all three to keep them in some sorts of bounds.

The smell when I do it is wonderful :-)

and have you put them on the bonfire? :-)) The smell is wonderful and
they burn 'very' well. We had a big clump of them at the last house and
we, like you, had to keep them under control.

Mike

Bay trees Lee and Kath United Kingdom 17 01-09-2005 01:08 PM
Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA? Charles Eubanks Gardening 2 12-04-2004 11:02 AM
Bay Trees Andy Sanson United Kingdom 13 25-11-2003 12:14 AM
Standard bay trees Jim Paterson United Kingdom 0 03-08-2003 06:42 PM
Standard Bay Trees Camilla Peake United Kingdom 4 18-03-2003 12:08 PM