Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 AM
hendo2002

Default clover in the lawn

I have a lawn that is 2 years old , just noticed this year that there is
clover sprouting more or less everywhere , what is the best treatment for
this ??

Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Paul D.Smith

Leave it alone. Clover is a good companion plant for grass, attracts bees,
is quite pretty when it flowers etc. etc. If you really want a bowling
green, you will be able to find some "napalm" in the local B&Q (or similar)
that "feeds and weeds" - but I leave clover well alone.

In my lawn, the most lush and "dry weather resistant" bits are those with
good clover growth. I'm trying to encourage it to spread!

Paul DS.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:45 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jonathan Ward" wrote in message
snip
It's also a nitrogen fixer.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying

Clover grows in low nitrogen soils - it can outgrow the grass because it can
fix its own nitrogen for food, whilst the grass grows more slowly due to
lack of food.
If you add nitrogen (any lawn food, or even try peeing on the grass :-) )
then the grass generally greens up and outgrows the clover.
Clover is an indication that your lawn is underfed, but as previously stated
it can look green when grass is yellow, and the flowers feed bees etc.
Most areas of grassland (parks etc.) will show loads of clover if you look
closely.

So feed your grass or cherish your clover :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Old 04-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Jim

In message , hendo2002
writes
I have a lawn that is 2 years old , just noticed this year that there is
clover sprouting more or less everywhere , what is the best treatment for
this ??

Sit down on the grass with a bucket to hand. Grip the clover leaf and
stem by hand. Gently lift clear of grass and extract as much as possible
by the roots. Collect clover in bucket, dispose in dustbin.

Cheap. Effective. Environmentally friendly. Surprisingly therapeutic.

Best done on a hot day with a long cool soothing libation readily
available.

--
Regards - Jim (reply to: News AT outcrops DOT co DOT uk)

Woman went into a bar and asked for a double entendre.
So the landlord gave her one.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:32 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , hendo2002 john@thehende
rsons.surfonwater.com writes
I have a lawn that is 2 years old , just noticed this year that there is
clover sprouting more or less everywhere , what is the best treatment for
this ??

In my experience lawnrakers are pretty effective in controlling clover.
(Personally I'd prefer to leave the clover and get rid of the other
weeds, but lawnrakers down work like that.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley