Old 05-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Cal Mac

Default Trees to survive in the scottish islands

Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article lgate.org,
Cal Mac wrote:
Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

There are also the problems of salt, wet and miserable summers.

The two trees that are native to that area are Scots pine and birch,
but I don't think that ANYTHING will grow rapidly in those conditions.
Well, perhaps moss :-)

It is well worth checking out Inverewe; while it is a little more
sheltered than the islands, its shelter belt trees should be OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
andrewpreece

How about Mountain Ash (Rowan ). Saw some growing on Hoy.
Of course, a windbreak may prove beneficial in getting them started.
Just guesswork on my part I hasten to add.

Andy

news:91c5c13247b76ec7a06d63f81a47434a.90780@mygate .mailgate.org...

Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message lgate.org
from "Cal Mac" contains these words:

Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

Winter temperatures in the western isles are very mild, unlike Siberia ;~}

Hawthorn rowan and sycamore can both survive almost anything in west
coast conditions, (where sheep deer and rabbits are fenced out), though
you may find them growing into very windswept shapes. I think hawthorn
suits the windswept look better than the others. You might get them off
to a better start by growing a low shelter belt of something fast and
tough like griselinia, hardy fuchsia, gorse, or even phormium.

Janet.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
andrewpreece wrote:
How about Mountain Ash (Rowan ). Saw some growing on Hoy.
Of course, a windbreak may prove beneficial in getting them started.
Just guesswork on my part I hasten to add.

I have never seen it growing that large, but Clapham, Tutin and
Warberg says that it gets to 15 metres. My guess is that it needs
specific conditions to grow large - and that they are NOT deep,
rich soil!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Rod

"Cal Mac" wrote in message news:91c5c13247b76ec7a06d63f81a47434a.90780@mygate .mailgate.org...
Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

The one thing you see everwhere - even almost on the seashore is Sycamore, that's probably the best thing to try for a first line of
defence in a shelterbelt etc, possibly with some of the shrubs others have mentioned to shelter the young Sycamores.

Rod

Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Cal Mac" wrote in message ...
Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

A normal shelter belt of trees includes some large and some small and some
shrubs as well.
Some plants that I have seen/heard used for windbreaks are...
Hawthorn. (hedge but can be a 15 to 20ft tree)
Whitebeam. (Sorbus aria) (to 80ft)
Maritime Pine. (Pinus pinaster) (to 120ft)
Monterey Pine. (Pinus radiata) ( to 120ft+)
Euonymus japonicus. (shrub)
Italian Alder. (Alnus cordata) (to 50ft)
All would benefit from a man made windbreak and strong staking at first.

Are there no gardens with shelter belts near you that you could study for
effectiveness in your conditions?
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Jim W

Cal Mac wrote:

Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

I cannot rememebr where but there was a recent program I think on the
'flying Gardener' that covered a Scots isle garden.. I looked on the
website but there is nothing there about that bit.. Could've been
gardeners world then...

Anyway I digress. The lady who created the garden was initially thought
mad by locals in that she wanted a full herbaceous garden (she was
either part dutch or german or something IIRC) In any case her solution
was to plant at least a 3 deep shelter belt of trees and shrubs with
the outer 2 the hardiest) the most outer forming a 'sacrifical' layer
against the extreme conditions..

The end result (after some time and dead trees and very windswept live
ones which were still left for shelter) was a microclimate garden that
had a very very good variety of plants in that she would otherwise not
be able to grow.. If you could track down this ref it'd be worth doing
as it sounds exactly like the sort of thing you need.
//
Jim
Old 07-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:46:31 +0000 (UTC), "Cal Mac"
wrote:

Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

Oleria traversii is a very wind and salt tolerant shrubby tree, fast
growing and eventually gets to 20 - 30 ft. On the tender side, but you
might manage it in the Islands if the gulf stream does its stuff.
Excellent for screening and hedging, although not really tree-like.
Also try Eleagnus ebbingei, slightly slower growing and won't get as
big as OT but has a scented flower (not the variegated versions,
they're too slow), comments ditto. Both grow in Cornwall in very
exposed coastal situations and get pounded by winter gales and sea
spray with no ill effects.

Some of the Eucalyptus species are also very wind-tolerant and they're
certainly fast growing and much more tree-like than the above. They're
also not unknown on the west coast of Scotland and in the Islands. Try
E.coccifera, E.gunnii, E.urnigera and even E.globulus. But they make
huge trees and may all get bigger than you want.

The problem with fast-growing plants in windy locations is that they
tend to outgrow their roots as far as support is concerned, and blow
over. The solution is to cut them back every few years to limit the
top growth, while the roots continue to increase.

--
Chris