Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Dave

Default Garlic

This year for once we have had a top crop of garlic. They are in
excellent condtion at the moment.

Is it better to leave them in the ground or to pull them up and dry
them out. What happens if we just leave tham untill needed.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Dave
Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Dave
writes
This year for once we have had a top crop of garlic. They are in
excellent condtion at the moment.

Is it better to leave them in the ground or to pull them up and dry
them out. What happens if we just leave tham untill needed.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

If you could rely on a really good summer, they could be left outside to
continue maturing. In reality, UK summers are often too cool and wet for
us to do that and they are better picked and hung under cover to dry.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message after Dave writes
This year for once we have had a top crop of garlic. They are in
excellent condtion at the moment.

Is it better to leave them in the ground or to pull them up and dry
them out. What happens if we just leave tham untill needed.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

If you could rely on a really good summer, they could be left outside to
continue maturing. In reality, UK summers are often too cool and wet for
us to do that and they are better picked and hung under cover to dry.
--

and if you leave them in the ground they will soon split up into the cloves
and resprout.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:19:49 +0100, Dave wrote:

This year for once we have had a top crop of garlic. They are in
excellent condtion at the moment.

Is it better to leave them in the ground or to pull them up and dry
them out. What happens if we just leave tham untill needed.

If you leave them in the ground, they'll start to send out roots
and grow actively when the soil cools in late summer.

Dig them now and cure well so they will last all winter.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Sue & Bob Hobden
writes

"Alan wrote in message after Dave writes
This year for once we have had a top crop of garlic. They are in
excellent condtion at the moment.

Is it better to leave them in the ground or to pull them up and dry
them out. What happens if we just leave tham untill needed.

If you could rely on a really good summer, they could be left outside to
continue maturing. In reality, UK summers are often too cool and wet for
us to do that and they are better picked and hung under cover to dry.
--

and if you leave them in the ground they will soon split up into the cloves
and resprout.
Get them out and cleaned up, let them dry out for a few days then string
them up somewhere cool and airy. I noticed that in Nepal they hang them from
hooks under the eaves of their houses,

We've just pulled some of ours and I'm going to hang it under the
carport (great things carports - a nice big open but covered outside
space - everyone should have one, even if they haven't got a car)

We've had problems before when they got left to long and sprouted again.
I'm not sure they are really going to anything much more anyway seeing
as the foliage is starting to brown now anyway.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM