Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
David P Knowle

Default Petrol mower - cleaning

After a series of electric rotary mowers, have now purchased petrol rotary
one.
Question - cleaning blade & deck after use: we used to tip the leccy one
upside down & scrape/brush down; I presume we can't tip the petrol one
upside down to do this - what do others do? Take it to Halfords, up on
hydraulic ramp, get under it? Any (sensible!) tips appreciated (I am still
wearing L-plates when I use this monster...)

TIA for help.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
NC

"David P Knowle" wrote in message
After a series of electric rotary mowers, have now purchased petrol rotary
one.
Question - cleaning blade & deck after use: we used to tip the leccy one
upside down & scrape/brush down; I presume we can't tip the petrol one
upside down to do this - what do others do? Take it to Halfords, up on
hydraulic ramp, get under it? Any (sensible!) tips appreciated (I am

still
wearing L-plates when I use this monster...)

Tip it up a bit and poke around underneath. If too heavy, a lump of wood to
chock it up helps.

Some safety precautions; 1) stop the motor, 2) let it cool a bit, 3)
disconnect spark plug lead. Then poke around underneath.

I only clean mine once in a while, or if the grass is very wet. However, the
deck of mine is all plastic (Wolf, about 8 years old), so rust isn't a major
consideration.

NC.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
David P Knowle

NC wrote in message

Tip it up a bit and poke around underneath. If too heavy, a lump of wood

chock it up helps.

Some safety precautions; 1) stop the motor, 2) let it cool a bit, 3)
disconnect spark plug lead. Then poke around underneath.

I only clean mine once in a while, or if the grass is very wet. However,

the
deck of mine is all plastic (Wolf, about 8 years old), so rust isn't a

major
consideration.

NC.

That's helpful. Thanks pal.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Alastair J. Smith

"David P Knowle" wrote in message
After a series of electric rotary mowers, have now purchased petrol rotary
one.
Question - cleaning blade & deck after use: we used to tip the leccy one
upside down & scrape/brush down; I presume we can't tip the petrol one
upside down to do this - what do others do?

To clean it, there are two ways to tip the deck (body of machine) either
tip it up on the back wheels/roller - completely safe but painful way to do
it. Or tip it on its side with the air filter up. If you tip it with exhaust
up you will get oil in the filter and it won't run very well or not start at
all. If you tip it up with filter side up it will be fine, you may get a bit
of oil in the exhaust but the smoke will disappear quickly after you have
re-started it.

Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 PM
David P Knowle

Alastair J. Smith wrote in message

To clean it, there are two ways to tip the deck (body of machine) either
tip it up on the back wheels/roller - completely safe but painful way to

do
it. Or tip it on its side with the air filter up. If you tip it with

exhaust
up you will get oil in the filter and it won't run very well or not start

at
all. If you tip it up with filter side up it will be fine, you may get a

bit
of oil in the exhaust but the smoke will disappear quickly after you have
re-started it.

Thank you, that's a helpful tip.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:23 AM
john darling

"David P Knowle" wrote in message

Alastair J. Smith wrote in message

To clean it, there are two ways to tip the deck (body of machine)

either
tip it up on the back wheels/roller - completely safe but painful way to

do
it. Or tip it on its side with the air filter up. If you tip it with

exhaust
up you will get oil in the filter and it won't run very well or not

start
at
all. If you tip it up with filter side up it will be fine, you may get a

bit
of oil in the exhaust but the smoke will disappear quickly after you

have
re-started it.

Thank you, that's a helpful tip.

Also make sure petrol cap is on tight when doing any mainteance. You can
then tip onto side depending on model - I find I have to do this if the
grass may be damp or heavy as it sometimes clogs up the chute to grass box.
Petrol can sometyimes flood the carburetor or even air filter thus delaying
cutting !

Old 07-07-2003, 01:20 PM
John Towill

"john darling" wrote in message

[...]

Mine is a 2stroke, so as long as the petrol cap is tight I simply tip it on
its side.
Cheers
John T

Old 07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
David P Knowle

Tim wrote in message
newsprrxwilqbwxhha1@localhost...
Smartarse ;-)
Tim.

Thanks to all for your help with my query.
It is appreciated.

Old 08-07-2003, 12:22 AM
len brauer

g'day david,

all mowers can be tipped just depends on the motor. if if is a b&s 4
stroke or most 4 strokes tip them with the spark plug pointing
upwards.

with 2 strokes it doesn't matter in both cases you will need to seal
off the fuel cap so fuel doesn't leak out, or alternatively empty out
the tank.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
David P Knowle

len brauer wrote in message
g'day david,

all mowers can be tipped just depends on the motor. if if is a b&s 4
stroke or most 4 strokes tip them with the spark plug pointing
upwards.

with 2 strokes it doesn't matter in both cases you will need to seal
off the fuel cap so fuel doesn't leak out, or alternatively empty out
the tank.

len

It's a briggs&stratton 4-stroke. Thanks.