Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Bob H

Default Do the blades need sharpening?

Hi,
I have a Qualcast Classic Electric lawnmower which is about 3 years old now.
Earlier this year I adjusted the blades to cut closer to the bottom plate?, but
lately I have noticed that the blades do not cut some of the grass cleanly. When I
mow my lawn, I notice that soem of the grass which the mower passes over is kind of
folded over at 90 degrees rather than being cut.
So my question is, do the blades need sharpened?

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

---

Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Rod

"Bob H" wrote in message ...
Hi,
I have a Qualcast Classic Electric lawnmower which is about 3 years old now.
Earlier this year I adjusted the blades to cut closer to the bottom plate?, but
lately I have noticed that the blades do not cut some of the grass cleanly. When I
mow my lawn, I notice that soem of the grass which the mower passes over is kind of
folded over at 90 degrees rather than being cut.
So my question is, do the blades need sharpened?

If it can't be cured by refining the adjustment you made, then yes.
When you rotate the cylinder carefully by hand you should be able to feel/hear the cylinder blades rubbing gently along the whole
length of the bottom blade and anywhere along the length it should cut a piece of newspaper or similar.

Rod

Old 10-07-2003, 10:23 PM
David Hill

"..... anywhere along the length it should cut a piece of newspaper or
similar....."
Or even a blade of grass, which is what we always used when adjustting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 10-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Near Wark - Northumberland

Hi Bob

I was a toolroom manager years ago and ground loads of these, there should be centres in both ends to spin the the cylinder, the cutting edge is brought before a grindstone and ground parallel.
Any small engineering company will have a tool and cutter grinder.

murf