Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Peter Coddington

Default Sharpening Lawn Mower Blades.

I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to have
the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted £40 plus 4
hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over the top)
your views would be appreciated please (I live in West Yorkshire)
Peter.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
richard smith

I would say that this is too expensive £40.00 + 4 hours labour! at what rate
£20.00 per hour?
richard

Old 03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
pied piper

"Peter Coddington" wrote in message
I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to have
the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted £40 plus
4
hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over the
top)
your views would be appreciated please (I live in West Yorkshire)
Peter.

thats about the going rate but four hours is too long for a machine that
size as it will only need about an hours grinding . does it definetly need
regrinding maybe u can just adjust your blades or maybe the bottom blade
needs replacing

Old 04-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Peter Coddington

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Peter Coddington" wrote in message
I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to have
the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted £40

plus
4
hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over the
top)
your views would be appreciated please (I live in West Yorkshire)
Peter.

thats about the going rate but four hours is too long for a machine that
size as it will only need about an hours grinding . does it definetly need
regrinding maybe u can just adjust your blades or maybe the bottom blade
needs replacing

Thanks for your views. I had the bottom blade replaced about 3 years

ago.Kept up to adjustments for the last 20 years (a 1984 model) Maybe time
for a regrind?

Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 AM
pied piper

"pied piper" wrote in message

[...]

sounds like it try to get a few quotes or even chat with your local
greenkeeper a lot of golf courses have their own grinders might be cheaper
for u

Old 04-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Richard Brooks

Peter Coddington wrote:
I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to
have the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted £40
plus 4 hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over
the top) your views would be appreciated please (I live in West
Yorkshire)
Peter.

Learn the old ways of the whet stone. You don't need Knight's Templar to do
it as they'l ask an arm and a leg.

Richard.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:43 AM
pied piper

"Richard Brooks" wrote in message
Peter Coddington wrote:
I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to
have the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted £40
plus 4 hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over
the top) your views would be appreciated please (I live in West
Yorkshire)
Peter.

Learn the old ways of the whet stone. You don't need Knight's Templar to
do
it as they'l ask an arm and a leg.

Richard.
its impossible to do a cylinder unit with a whetstone

Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Richard Brooks

Peter Coddington wrote:
I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43S Petrol Lawn Mower. I now need to
have the cylinder blades sharpened.
As it will be necessary to remove the cylinder I have been quoted
£40 plus 4 hours labour.
Is this about the price I shall have to pay.?(Or it this a bit over
the top) your views would be appreciated please (I live in West
Yorkshire)
Peter.

Learn the old ways of the whet stone. You don't need Knight's
Templar to do
it as they'l ask an arm and a leg.

Richard.

its impossible to do a cylinder unit with a whetstone

It depends on the shape. You wouldn't want to do it with a full chisel
sharpening type block but I must admit that the old scythe blocks are hard
to find.

http://www.danswhetstone.com/products.htm

Richard.