Old 13-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Christopher Sperry

Default advice please.

We're going on holiday shortly for two weeks but my pond filter is currently
being stubborn and needs cleaning every few days. I can't decide what to do
with it while we're away:

a. switch the pump off completely
b. leave it on and let it run until it gets completely blocked up
c. put it on a timer to come on for a couple of hours a day

I'd appreciate any advice from people who have experienced a similar dilemma

Also I'm not sure how best to deal with the fish feeding problem.

Old 13-07-2003, 11:57 AM
amanda pope

You do not say what type of filter you have. If it is a biological one
switching off will reduce efficiency but there again if you are cleaning it
every few days the bacteria will not be effective.

Do not leave running if it will block this will strain the pump. If you have
a uv clarifier this may overheat, so leaving on could be expensive and if it
doesn't work you aren't gaining anything anyway.

A timer would be a good idea but the above still applies.

I recommend you switch off and start the system again on your return

in two weeks your pond may not be clear, but as long as you set the pump to
aerate the pond there should be no great damage done.

Having said that lets see if we can sort your filter problem

There are several reasons your filter may not be working.

The filter system is not big enough for the pond.- email me details or what
your system is and dimensions of the pond. I will gladly check this for you

If the problem started after a routine clean , you are likely to have killed
the bacteria and so stopped the filter working. You then have all the solids
retained but not broken down hence the frequent blocking.

if this is the case get some bio start or something similar to prime the
filter.( you can fill with pondwater and leave switched off for a few days
to let the bacteria build up.

The filter may need maintenance. You may need to replace the sponges or
brushes it they are perished.

Check your pump it may have fallen into the bottom and be picking up solids.
unless you have a filter system to handle this, it will block your filter.
this can be remedied by lifting the pump.

If your pond is a couple of years old , the solids may have built up on the
bottom to the level of the pump. this will have the same effect as if the
pump were on the bottom. ( most common reason for a system to suddenly fail)
Buy a pond vac or hire a sludge pump and clear out the debris.

Blagdon sludge buster may also help as it breaks down the solids.

Hope this helps.
details of the products mentioned on the web site.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Christopher Sperry
writes
We're going on holiday shortly for two weeks but my pond filter is currently
being stubborn and needs cleaning every few days. I can't decide what to do
with it while we're away:

a. switch the pump off completely
b. leave it on and let it run until it gets completely blocked up
c. put it on a timer to come on for a couple of hours a day

c sounds the best. You might as well get the benefit of the time it will
run, but you don't want it to overheat.

I'd appreciate any advice from people who have experienced a similar dilemma

Also I'm not sure how best to deal with the fish feeding problem.

For indoor fish you can get feeding blocks which dissolve very slowly
and give them food over a weekend or over a week. I presume you can get
the same for pond fish.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: