Old 15-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Snowman

Default Birds eating my apples - Urgent!

My sweet eating apples are starting to get a good size and the birds have
started eating them. In previous years, in conjunction with the wasps the
whole lot's gone. The tree's too big for netting. Can anyone help, PLEASE!

Peter.

Old 15-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Ben

"Snowman" wrote in message
My sweet eating apples are starting to get a good size and the birds have
started eating them. In previous years, in conjunction with the wasps the
whole lot's gone. The tree's too big for netting. Can anyone help, PLEASE!

Peter.

I find a combination of a large ginger cat and two noisy children scares the
birds away nicely, failing that an air rifle, the bonus there is you can
have blackbird pie as well as apple pie )

=# Ben #=

on the serious note, is there not a product you could spray on the apples
that is harmless to humans but makes the apples smell unappetising to birds
and/or wasps?

Old 15-07-2003, 10:20 PM
cross

"Snowman" wrote in message
My sweet eating apples are starting to get a good size and the birds

have
started eating them. In previous years, in conjunction with the wasps

the
whole lot's gone. The tree's too big for netting. Can anyone help,

PLEASE!

Peter.

-----------
Try hanging old CD's in the tree where they can hang free. The light
flashing from them kept my sweet cherries safe from the birds and that is no
mean feat!

Marina
E. Sx

Old 15-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Snowman

"cross" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message
My sweet eating apples are starting to get a good size and the birds

have
started eating them. In previous years, in conjunction with the wasps

the
whole lot's gone. The tree's too big for netting. Can anyone help,

PLEASE!

Peter.

-----------
Try hanging old CD's in the tree where they can hang free. The light
flashing from them kept my sweet cherries safe from the birds and that is

no
mean feat!

Marina
E. Sx

Ah - well I've got the cat, but he's no use. And I've put some CDs in the
tree, I'd heard of that one, but it didn't seem to be working - maybe I've
not got enough or got them high enough - I'll try some re-arranging.

Peter.

Old 16-07-2003, 07:35 AM
martin

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:46:25 +0100, "Snowman"
wrote:

"cross" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe it's time to hang the cat in the tree and play the CDs.
--
martin

Old 16-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Franz Heymann

"oldswan" wrote in message
You could always feed the birds.
Just a thought.

Yes. We found that feeding oour strawberries to our resident blackbird was
much more fun than eating them ourselves. He became quite tame in the end.

Franz Heymann

Old 16-07-2003, 08:27 AM
mich

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"oldswan" wrote in message
You could always feed the birds.
Just a thought.

Yes. We found that feeding oour strawberries to our resident blackbird

was
much more fun than eating them ourselves. He became quite tame in the

end.

Yes, this year i have fed the birds with strawberries and cherries!
I dint get any apples though - got good blossom, but ne'er a one set fruit.

Old 20-07-2003, 11:14 AM

wrote:

"cross" wrote in message

"Snowman" wrote in message
[...]

CDs work for pigeons (Devon) but the local small birds-blackbirds robins
thrushes ignore them.

Old 20-07-2003, 11:14 AM
martin

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:05:58 +0100,
wrote:

CDs work for pigeons (Devon) but the local small birds-blackbirds robins
thrushes ignore them.

The same birds ignore our cats and get eaten :-(
--
martin
Old 21-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Snowman

wrote:

CDs work for pigeons (Devon) but the local small birds-blackbirds robins
thrushes ignore them.

The same birds ignore our cats and get eaten :-(
--
martin

Plan 2 - I've now bought some more bird feeders and hung them in the tree.
Either they'll eat the nuts, seeds, etc and ignore the apples or they'll
encourage more birds which will eat the apples - so I'll see what happens.

Peter.