Old 17-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Chris J Dixon

Default Wolly Aphid

I have a fairly large ornamental crab apple tree which is
suffering badly from woolly aphid.

During the winter I sprayed tar oil wash on those bits I could
easily reach, without killing my neighbour's plants.

They are now back again, as vigorous as ever. The tree is
looking rather shabby, and there are lots of cankers.

Is there anything systemic I could try?

If not, I may have to cut it down, to prevent the infestation
spreading to other plants.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 17-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Paul D.Smith

A strong hose down works for me. Get the little devils very soggy and keep
repeating for a few days to get rid of the stubborn ones.

Paul DS.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Paul D.Smith

Old 17-07-2003, 07:12 PM
david

I almost lost a new hedge last year with the beech woolly aphid. Eventually
I learned that liquid derris does the trick. The blighters resisted all
sorts of other insecticides I tried, despite my efforts "under" the leaves.
David