Old 09-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default aphid repellant

I was just reading an article on natural repellents
and it was stated that mint is a natural repellent
for aphids. Chocolate mint has taken over in several
areas surrounding my pond and I'm now wondering if
this is why the aphids seem to no longer be a problem
in my ponds.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Jim Humphries

That is interesting. I have had mint of various kinds growing in a
sluiceway between ponds and I did notice fewer aphids on the pond water
lillies. I put it down to weather at the time, but I am going to try mint
again.

--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC

Old 10-03-2003, 12:11 AM
K30a

Chocolate mint........ yum.
Will try that this year!

k30a
Old 10-03-2003, 12:44 AM
punky

My chocolate mint lost its "chocolate" after the first year. It's just been
a regular old mint for me, but I like to use it anyway. I might move it over
to the pond and see if that helps this year.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Fringe Ryder

Bonnie Espenshade sez:
I was just reading an article on natural repellents
and it was stated that mint is a natural repellent
for aphids. Chocolate mint has taken over in several
areas surrounding my pond and I'm now wondering if
this is why the aphids seem to no longer be a problem
in my ponds.

Or could be that it's winter right now. Aphids don't tend to be a problem
in winter. But I do use an organic aphid control spray that seems
effective and its quite minty.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Chocolate mint........ yum.
Will try that this year!

k30a

It has spread, as mint will do, and everytime I walk
around the pond the scent of mint is released when I
step on the leaves - I love it!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Fringe Ryder wrote:
Bonnie Espenshade sez:

I was just reading an article on natural repellents
and it was stated that mint is a natural repellent
for aphids. Chocolate mint has taken over in several
areas surrounding my pond and I'm now wondering if
this is why the aphids seem to no longer be a problem
in my ponds.

Or could be that it's winter right now. Aphids don't tend to be a problem
in winter. But I do use an organic aphid control spray that seems
effective and its quite minty.

I wasn't speaking of current lack of aphids ;-), I was
speaking of the last ponding season. At the moment, I don't
have any aphids, of course, I don't have any lilies or any
other plants visible for that matter. The grass is showing
where the paths were dug to the bird feeders, but that is it!

--
Bonnie
NJ

New Deer repellant Stephen Henning Gardening 0 13-02-2005 11:01 PM
Dog repellant? limey Gardening 9 06-08-2004 08:14 PM
rabbit repellant? Sully Gardening 2 03-06-2004 07:03 AM
Insect Repellant Plant Wanda Australia 11 13-10-2003 11:06 PM
Deer repellant Bob Edible Gardening 5 13-08-2003 04:14 AM