Old 17-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Pat Farrell

Default decomposing branches

Hi All
Not sure how to use this forum! i have a large pile of branches, bushes,
and brambles in the garden. I want to know how to decompose them - without
burning - as quickly as possible. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanking you in advance.
Pat Farrell

Old 17-07-2003, 01:37 AM
shannie

"Pat Farrell" wrote in message
Hi All
Not sure how to use this forum! i have a large pile of branches,

bushes,
and brambles in the garden. I want to know how to decompose them - without
burning - as quickly as possible. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanking you in advance.
Pat Farrell

Hi Pat,

Probably best to beg, borrow or hire a shredder. Spend a day shredding them
and put em on your compost heap.

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 17-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Nick

"Pat Farrell" wrote in message
Hi All
Not sure how to use this forum! i have a large pile of branches,

bushes,
and brambles in the garden. I want to know how to decompose them - without
burning - as quickly as possible. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanking you in advance.
Pat Farrell

Hello Pat,
these items will decompose quicker if you can reduce them into smaller
parts. Shredding is good if you have, or can get hold of, a shredder.
If you are intending to eventually use this stuff as compost then make sure
there is no pernicious weed stuff in the mix.
If you're not intending to compost then just slip a little into your wheelie
bin every week. Again make it as small as poss. but start with the larger
stuff to begin with (as the smaller stuff will disappear more quickly
anyway). Or chop the stuff into bits small enough to fit into plastic sacks,
load the car and have a morning out at the municipal dump.

Good Luck
Nick

Old 17-07-2003, 09:52 PM
bnd777

If the stuff is fresh it can be shredded and added to compost bins etc
If its old and hard then you need to burn it or take it to your refuse tip
where they most likely will recycle it

Old 18-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Victoria Clare

"bnd777" wrote in
:

If the stuff is fresh it can be shredded and added to compost bins etc
If its old and hard then you need to burn it or take it to your refuse
tip where they most likely will recycle it

I shred all of mine, even elderly dead branches, apart from really big
ones. They compost fine if you mix with grass cuttings and greenstuff, or
I find the dry shreddings useful as a substitute for bark chippings on
paths.

Also useful for clearing the shredder if you have been shredding lots of
fibrous stuff like young ash saplings and it's got caught round the blade:
bung in some dead apple twigs or something and it cleans it off
beautifully. I have a special heap of 'old twigs' I keep for this job.

Victoria

Old 18-07-2003, 06:22 PM
bnd777

Dont know what shredder you have but if I did that with mine I would have to
fork out to have new blades fitted

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.11...
"bnd777" wrote in
:

Old 20-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Mike

In article , bnd777
writes
Dont know what shredder you have but if I did that with mine I would have to
fork out to have new blades fitted

Our Black and Decker was the same :-((

Anybody any comments on the two JCB ones in the Argos catalogue? We are
thinking of getting another one and only just started to look. One is a
'low noise' one. The Black and Decker we had was noisy, except when we
had to clean it out then it was me making the noise. 'Damn stupid thing.
Could have made it better than this. Damn things jammed again, where's
that spanner?' :-((

Mike
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 20-07-2003, 05:42 PM
bnd777

JCB .......forget it ....took mine back in 2 days ......have a Do It all
Champion 1600 which is OK but I have to get new blades fitted every year
Searching for a good price on the Bosch 2000
cant see the point in anything less
"Mike" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

------

Decomposing leaves ScrubsFan Ponds 8 14-04-2005 12:30 PM
[IBC] Creatively Working with Bar Branches (Was [IBC] "Handle bar" branches???) Michael Persiano Bonsai 3 19-01-2004 05:12 AM
Swords sprouting branches... 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 06-03-2003 06:17 PM
Growing new branches on a trunkchopped ficus. Eirik Kjølsrud Bonsai 0 06-03-2003 12:03 PM
[IBC] sacrifice branches.. remove each season??? David J. Bockman Bonsai 2 15-02-2003 09:15 PM