Old 17-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Edward Holt

Default Moss Problems

My garden has a moss problem.

What can I put on the lawn, hand spreadable, that will just kill the moss
rather than kill it and feed it?
I've had problems in the past with lawn feeder causing the lawn to require
cutting twice a week.

Also, I get moss in the floor beds and it takes ages to remove. I've tried
hand weeding out the moss and it takes for ever. I then tried using a sieve
and I'm not convinced it all got removed from the soil. Is there a better
method?

Old 17-07-2003, 09:12 PM
bnd777

Sulphate of Iron is the moss killing ingredient in proprietary weed and feed
products
Join a Horticultural club or find a farmer supply shop and you can get a
huge bag of it for same price as small box in regular garden or DIY stores

.. .

Old 17-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Iain M Lee

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
.. .
My garden has a moss problem.

What can I put on the lawn, hand spreadable, that will just kill the moss
rather than kill it and feed it?
I've had problems in the past with lawn feeder causing the lawn to require
cutting twice a week.

Also, I get moss in the floor beds and it takes ages to remove. I've tried
hand weeding out the moss and it takes for ever. I then tried using a

sieve
and I'm not convinced it all got removed from the soil. Is there a better
method?

Use Iron Sulphate.

I got some from Smiths Do it All.

Old 18-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Edward Holt

On doing a search on that, I think the moss that I have in the soil is
pearlwort - any tips for removing that?

Old 18-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Jeff Coles

Apart from treating with Sulphate of Iron, I find a light scarification with
a tyned rake on the moss effected area and regular cutting 2 or 3 times a
week in the height of the growing season ( May to August)
at a cutting height of no less than an inch as produced a really fine weed
free lawn, despited being surrounded by neglected, weed ridden gardens. I am
lucky that my lawn is only small and only takes 10 to 15 minutes to cut and
care for.

Regards

Jeff

Old 19-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Edward Holt

I've now got some J Arthur Bowers Sulphate of Iron but it doesn't tell me in
what quantities for treating moss - any ideas on how much I should use?