Old 17-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Roy Bailey

Default Weeds

I have a piece of ground which I laughingly call an orchard because it
does actually have some fruit trees in it. It also has burdock, dock,
nettle, creeping buttercup, speedwell, plantain, applemint that has
escaped from elsewhere, and much more besides.

Somewhere under all that is some grass which I would like to encourage.
I cut this lot regularly with a strimmer, but the weeds come back again
quickly. How else can I get rid of them without using chemicals? Is
burdock a perennial?
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 17-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Roy Bailey
writes
I have a piece of ground which I laughingly call an orchard because it
does actually have some fruit trees in it. It also has burdock, dock,
nettle, creeping buttercup, speedwell, plantain, applemint that has
escaped from elsewhere, and much more besides.

Somewhere under all that is some grass which I would like to encourage.
I cut this lot regularly with a strimmer, but the weeds come back again
quickly. How else can I get rid of them without using chemicals? Is
burdock a perennial?

After you have strimmed off the greater part of top growth, go over the
area with a mower set at its highest cut. Pick up all the surplus
herbage for composting, or whatever. (Or you could mulch it round the
fruit trees, they would love that) A couple of weeks later, mow it again
with the cut set just a little lower. Collect up the cuttings again.
Keep doing that until the patch is at the height you want it to be in
the longer term. Continue mowing regularly at the chosen height,
sometimes letting the cuttings fall back to feed the grassed area.

That treatment will eliminate most non-grass plants other than some
pretty daisies, buttercups, clovers etc. and occasional mosses. It will
also give finer grasses a chance to grow and establish while the coarser
slower growing types are recovering. From then, you will be able to
choose a grass management plan to suit your own requirements.

Greater and Lesser Burdocks - Arctium lappa and A.minus are biennials.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
ned

Roy Bailey wrote:
I have a piece of ground which I laughingly call an orchard because
it does actually have some fruit trees in it. It also has burdock,
dock, nettle, creeping buttercup, speedwell, plantain, applemint

that
has escaped from elsewhere, and much more besides.

Somewhere under all that is some grass which I would like to
encourage. I cut this lot regularly with a strimmer, but the weeds
come back again quickly. How else can I get rid of them without

using
chemicals? Is burdock a perennial?

Good Heavens, man. Have you no soul.
These are wild flowers you are speaking of.
Treasure your natural habitat.
Have it cited as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Encourage your neighbours to visit and sample its delights
.............. after the fruit picking.

--
ned

Old 18-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , ned
writes
Roy Bailey wrote:
I have a piece of ground which I laughingly call an orchard because
it does actually have some fruit trees in it. It also has burdock,
dock, nettle, creeping buttercup, speedwell, plantain, applemint

that
has escaped from elsewhere, and much more besides.

Somewhere under all that is some grass which I would like to
encourage. I cut this lot regularly with a strimmer, but the weeds
come back again quickly. How else can I get rid of them without

using
chemicals? Is burdock a perennial?

Good Heavens, man. Have you no soul.
These are wild flowers you are speaking of.
Treasure your natural habitat.
Have it cited as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Encourage your neighbours to visit and sample its delights
............. after the fruit picking.

I promise you, there is plenty more such stuff around here!
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 18-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Roy Bailey
writes
[...]

Thanks for this advice, Alan. The problem is that the piece of land is
sloping and somewhat uneven, so mowing, even with a Flymo, is not easy.
I use the strimmer very low so that it acts like a mower, but the docks
and burdocks keep growing again. Although I don't let them seed they
seem to reappear in the same places each year.

Greater and Lesser Burdocks - Arctium lappa and A.minus are biennials.

Thank God for that! I was beginning to fear that they were perennials.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 18-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Roy Bailey
writes

Old 19-07-2003, 06:24 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Roy Bailey
writes

Greater and Lesser Burdocks - Arctium lappa and A.minus are biennials.

Thank God for that! I was beginning to fear that they were perennials.

They give that impression by re-seeding themselves. They are a much
prized wild flower in some people's estimation but if you really want to
be rid of them, remove all flower heads before they mature.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM