Old 18-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Derek Banks

Default Noisey Birds!

Over the last few years Crows have moved into our area of residential
Surrey along with a big increase in Magpies. For several hours today -
high sun - the din from these two species over and around the gardens
was a deafening squawking and shrieking. They were flying around
buzzing each other constantly wheeling, turning and changing places on
the tree tops, roofs and television aerials. It was almost as if they
were competing for the top territory trying to oust each other. After
about three hours, mid afternoon, the racket died down and all was
peaceful. We thought it extra ordinary behaviour and wondered what was
going on. It's a bit late for nest invading.
They can make as much noise as they like but please any ideas?

Pam and Derek Banks

Old 18-07-2003, 12:03 PM

"Derek Banks" wrote in message
: Over the last few years Crows have moved into our area of residential
: Surrey along with a big increase in Magpies. For several hours today -
: high sun - the din from these two species over and around the gardens
: was a deafening squawking and shrieking. They were flying around
: buzzing each other constantly wheeling, turning and changing places on
: the tree tops, roofs and television aerials. It was almost as if they
: were competing for the top territory trying to oust each other. After
: about three hours, mid afternoon, the racket died down and all was
: peaceful. We thought it extra ordinary behaviour and wondered what was
: going on. It's a bit late for nest invading.
: They can make as much noise as they like but please any ideas?
:
: Pam and Derek Banks
:
Perhaps there were birds of prey around.

Old 18-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Zizz

"Derek Banks" wrote in message
Over the last few years Crows have moved into our area of residential
Surrey along with a big increase in Magpies. For several hours today -
high sun - the din from these two species over and around the gardens
was a deafening squawking and shrieking. They were flying around
buzzing each other constantly wheeling, turning and changing places on
the tree tops, roofs and television aerials. It was almost as if they
were competing for the top territory trying to oust each other. After
about three hours, mid afternoon, the racket died down and all was
peaceful. We thought it extra ordinary behaviour and wondered what was
going on. It's a bit late for nest invading.
They can make as much noise as they like but please any ideas?

Pam and Derek Banks

Methinks you're probably right in that they were competing, mayhap not for
nest invading but more like sorting out the pecking order!
/me winces at that!

Old 18-07-2003, 11:30 PM
shannie

"Derek Banks" wrote in message
Over the last few years Crows have moved into our area of residential
Surrey along with a big increase in Magpies. For several hours today -
high sun - the din from these two species over and around the gardens
was a deafening squawking and shrieking. They were flying around
buzzing each other constantly wheeling, turning and changing places on
the tree tops, roofs and television aerials. It was almost as if they
were competing for the top territory trying to oust each other. After
about three hours, mid afternoon, the racket died down and all was
peaceful. We thought it extra ordinary behaviour and wondered what was
going on. It's a bit late for nest invading.
They can make as much noise as they like but please any ideas?

Hi Pam and Derek,
We too noticed a lot of activity in the magpie camp this past couple of
weeks, we've come to the conclusion that the babies born at the begining of
the season are now noisey youngsters. We have 8 magpies nesting in our
garden, four small and four large presumably two families and it's the
smaller one's that are the noisiest....a little like human children/teens,
making a racket, looking for attention, playing games and generally having a
bit of fun?

Shannie

Pam and Derek Banks

Old 20-07-2003, 12:45 PM
John Towill

"shannie" wrote in message

[...]

Try living in the country, birds singing drown out the comforting hum of the
far off motor way, buzzing bees and the whirr of dragonfly wings masking the
overflying helicopters, it's real hell here! ;-)
Cheers
John T

Old 20-07-2003, 08:47 PM
shannie

Try living in the country, birds singing drown out the comforting hum of

the
far off motor way, buzzing bees and the whirr of dragonfly wings masking

the
overflying helicopters, it's real hell here! ;-)
Cheers
John T

lol...I *do* live in the country, nearest house to me is over two miles
away, sounds a lot like where you are and on top of all you mentioned our
cockeral alarm at 4.35 outside our bedroom window which then sets off the
cattle in the field next door wanting to be milked, then the sheep over the
road get in on the act. Thats after we've gone to bed to the howl of the
owls in the vally over from us...yep a hell of a wonderful life ;~)