Old 19-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Ron

Default Hedge renovation?

Urglers,

Firstly, thanks to those who gave advice about the laylandi in my front
garden.

Along the side of my front garden is quite an old privet hedge which is
"infected" with ivy. I'd like to keep the hedge but it needs renovation if
that's possible.

My questions are 1. If renovation is possible how do I go about it? and 2.
How can I get rid of the ivy without killing the hedge, assuming it's
renovated?

Regards

Ron

Old 19-07-2003, 06:02 PM
martin

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:52:28 +0100, "Ron"
wrote:

Urglers,

Firstly, thanks to those who gave advice about the laylandi in my front
garden.

Along the side of my front garden is quite an old privet hedge which is
"infected" with ivy. I'd like to keep the hedge but it needs renovation if
that's possible.

My questions are 1. If renovation is possible how do I go about it? and 2.
How can I get rid of the ivy without killing the hedge, assuming it's
renovated?

Cut the ivy where it comes out of the ground?
--
martin
Old 19-07-2003, 09:13 PM
bnd777

Digging out the ivy is probably the only way to get rid although if you can
paint the thick stems with creosote that would kill it ........pull out the
rest though
you can cut privet back pretty hard and it will regrow however suggest you
do some in the autumn and then again very early spring before it starts to
sprout

Old 19-07-2003, 10:23 PM
David Hill

"..... Cut the ivy where it comes out of the ground? ........."

No no no no no no either dig or pull, you need the roots out.
If you cut it will grow back even stronger.

If you are cutting private back hard then do so in April, that way you will
have the wind break all winter, and new growth wont get hit by frost.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries