Old 22-07-2003, 10:22 AM
miklol

Default worms in compost

I recently built my wife a raised kitchen garden, which is very simply a box
on legs, 2ft.6ins from the ground, so that she can grow some salad crops
without needing to bend. Firstly I have a problem with both carrot fly and
flea beetle,how do I deal with them and do I need to change all the compost
or can I treat it? Secondly, not a problem but a mystery, I have a lot of
worms in the compost. Now bearing in mind the height of the box, how on
earth did the worms get there, as there is nothing but compost straight out
of the bags in the garden?

Old 22-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Dee

Worms are good, do not worry about them. Carrot fly may be controlled by
planting something with a strong smell next to or around the carrots in
order to confuse them. EG Onions, chives. Or if you use filtered or grind
your own coffee spread the dregs between the rows. This may be too late for
next year but it will be worth trying next.

AndyP

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above

Old 22-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Alison

"miklol" wrote in message
I recently built my wife a raised kitchen garden, which is very simply a

box
on legs, 2ft.6ins from the ground, so that she can grow some salad crops
without needing to bend. Firstly I have a problem with both carrot fly and
flea beetle,how do I deal with them and do I need to change all the

compost
or can I treat it? Secondly, not a problem but a mystery, I have a lot of
worms in the compost. Now bearing in mind the height of the box, how on
earth did the worms get there, as there is nothing but compost straight

out
of the bags in the garden?

I think they sneak there in the night. They have a habit of doing this under
any buckets, bags etc left out overnight, then I spend ages collecting them
up and putting them in the flower beds the next day (or 5 weeks later more
like!!) cos I would hate them to be scorched up in the sun (fat chance today
though).

I expect that your little patch is well tended and watered - just worm
heaven really :-)

--Alison

Old 22-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Ron

Worms: if you used proprietary compost and the bag had been on the ground
at the garden centre the worms could have got in then. Alternatively, there
may have been eggs in the compost.

Carrot fly: I understand that they do not fly over a barrier so put a fine
netting barrier around carrots and they will be no problem - allegedly!!

Regards

Ron