Old 25-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Mike Fitz

Default Slow conifers

I have a border with about 10 small (2ft) conifers, a very light green
colour, very fluffy in appearance, sorry I don't know the name but they are
really attractive. My problem is thus, about a couple of months back someone
decided to up root 3 of them and throw them down the road, within a few
hours they were re planted, fed watered and I hoped that they would recover.
They seem to be dying now and rather than wait for them to die totally
leaving gaps in the row am I better to buy some more and replace them, or
will they come back next year? or maybe pick up again this year, they are
going brown from the top down quite uniformed. One of the bushes had about
the top 6 inches snapped off and this one is also browning.
Any advise please.
Mike

---

Old 26-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Mike Fitz" contains these words:

I have a border with about 10 small (2ft) conifers, a very light green
colour, very fluffy in appearance, sorry I don't know the name but they are
really attractive. My problem is thus, about a couple of months back someone
decided to up root 3 of them and throw them down the road, within a few
hours they were re planted, fed watered and I hoped that they would recover.
They seem to be dying now and rather than wait for them to die totally
leaving gaps in the row am I better to buy some more and replace them, or
will they come back next year? or maybe pick up again this year, they are
going brown from the top down quite uniformed. One of the bushes had about
the top 6 inches snapped off and this one is also browning.
Any advise please.
Mike

I would be very surprised if they recovered. In my experience, once
conifers begin to go brown, they keep going. Autumn would be a good time
to plant some new ones so that they can get their roots down for the
next growing season. This would give you another couple of months to
satisfy yourself that they're not going to recover.

Could they be Cupressus macrocarpa? It tends to have quite fluffy fresh
foliage - but there are forms of Chamaecyparis etc that they could also
be.

Janet G

brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM
Say goodbye to San Bernardino Mtn. conifers Joe and Julie alt.forestry 4 17-01-2003 08:53 PM