Old 26-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default OT? Mail order

The carrier we use has just put it prices up (nearly double) they tell me
its a general trend - am I being told porkies? anyone noticed carriage
charges going up recently either as a sender or receiver of plants.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-07-2003, 11:23 PM
martin

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:08:22 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

The carrier we use has just put it prices up (nearly double) they tell me
its a general trend - am I being told porkies? anyone noticed carriage
charges going up recently either as a sender or receiver of plants.

Parcel forces charges are on their web site.
--
martin
Old 27-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
The carrier we use has just put it prices up (nearly double) they tell me
its a general trend - am I being told porkies? anyone noticed carriage
charges going up recently either as a sender or receiver of plants.

Not relating particularly to plants, but we buy lots of stuff mailorder.
I can't say I've noticed any great change in the carriage charge - if
anything they have been pretty static for some time.

Time to speak to some other carriers I think.....
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 27-07-2003, 10:44 AM
David Hill

I find the problem with mail order is the time lag, I am now having to set
my postal charges for the next 12 months to go into the catalogue.
Last year there was a rise in price by Royal mail, Parcel force(Quite a big
jump) and many carriers, all come with just a few weeks notice, often at the
start of the year, and there is no way I can turn to people who have placed
orders and say "By the way cost of carriage has gone up so I want more money
off you", I just have to absorb it.
I did wonder if I could send out my catalogues with the Scouts Xmas mail,
but don't think they do National post(Pity).

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 11:16 AM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:32:55 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

I find the problem with mail order is the time lag, I am now having to set
my postal charges for the next 12 months to go into the catalogue.
Last year there was a rise in price by Royal mail, Parcel force(Quite a big
jump) and many carriers, all come with just a few weeks notice, often at the
start of the year, and there is no way I can turn to people who have placed
orders and say "By the way cost of carriage has gone up so I want more money
off you", I just have to absorb it.

I did wonder if I could send out my catalogues with the Scouts Xmas mail,
but don't think they do National post(Pity).

Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost?
Most mail order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place
the order.
Do you update the postage charges on your web site?

--
martin
Old 27-07-2003, 03:04 PM
David Hill

"........Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost? Most mail
order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place the
order........."

P & P is on my order forms.
Parcel force are much to expensive, used then three times this year but at
£12 a time you need a very large order.
Royal mail now take much heavier parcels first class and are very
competitive.
Have now had a carrier quote me £6.50 up to 10 Kg (+VAT)
Just annoys me that Royal Mail don't start bulk discount for mail till over
5000 items in a sending.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , martin
writes

Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost?
Most mail order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place
the order.

Not IME. And if I have to phone the company to find the post costs
before I place my order, then I won't bother to order from them.

I know that if I'm paying a standard charge for a small quantity of
goods, I am paying over the odds, but at least that allows me to make my
decision, and not buy something for, say 5 quid, when the postage
/delivery charge is another 3 or 4 quid on top of that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-07-2003, 03:12 PM
David Hill

".... Not IME. And if I have to phone the company to find the post costs
before I place my order, then I won't bother to order from them. ....."

My thinking exactly.
No way would I bother if I couldn't see the postage up front.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 05:33 PM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:42:44 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"........Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost? Most mail
order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place the
order........."

P & P is on my order forms.
Parcel force are much to expensive, used then three times this year but at
£12 a time you need a very large order.
Royal mail now take much heavier parcels first class and are very
competitive.
Have now had a carrier quote me £6.50 up to 10 Kg (+VAT)
Just annoys me that Royal Mail don't start bulk discount for mail till over
5000 items in a sending.

Isn't Parcel Force part of Royal Mail?
--
martin
Old 27-07-2003, 05:46 PM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:56:12 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost?
Most mail order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place
the order.

Not IME.

My experience is

Amazon

www.abe.com

All the boat mail order companies

All the sail makers I have asked for quotes.

Old 27-07-2003, 10:13 PM
David Hill

"......... Isn't Parcel Force part of Royal Mail? ....."

Yes but is still separate depot separate deliveries and separate pricing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , martin
writes
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:56:12 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , martin
writes

Do you have to give the cost of postage in your catalogue David?
Why not refer to Parcel Forces web site for the current cost?
Most mail order places tell you the cost of postage, when you place
the order.

Not IME.

My experience is

Amazon

Amazon give the postage charges on their website - ok the total postage
charge depends on how much and what you order - but you can work it out
before hand if you want.

www.abe.com

All the boat mail order companies

All the sail makers I have asked for quotes.

I guess there are some instances where the postage charge may depend on
what exactly is ordered (say the weight of the item), and situations
like Abebooks, where you are effectively buying from an independent
bookseller - possibly ahywhere in the world. And I have bought things
from the US where I have asked for specific shipping costs beforehand,
but these are unusual situations.

And I think it is slightly different online as it is possible to give
the price of shipping if it varies with order size etc.

However as a rule, for most mail order stuff, I expect the website or
catalogue to give the costs upfront. If they aren't there then I will
normally shop elsewhere.
Old 28-07-2003, 08:03 AM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:04:13 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"......... Isn't Parcel Force part of Royal Mail? ....."

Yes but is still separate depot separate deliveries and separate pricing.

It's also expert in losing very large parcels :-(
--
martin