Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 AM
mbb

Default Nuts !

Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in, so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

regards, mbb

Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 AM
martin

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:58:57 +0000 (UTC), "mbb"
wrote:

Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in, so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

Don't walnuts take decades to produce nuts? we had a walnut tree in
our garden when I was a kid, it dominated the garden. On the other
hand I have been in California where they grow them commercially and
the trees were apple tree size AFAIR.
--
Martin
Old 30-07-2003, 11:22 AM
David Rance

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, mbb wrote:

Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in, so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

We have a Webb's cob. It's quite small.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 30-07-2003, 02:42 PM
anton

mbb wrote in message ...
Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

No, but these guys might have the answers:
http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/
Times to yield in UK climates look a bit ambitious to me.

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in, so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the walnuts grow eventually
afaik to be serious size trees. Cobnuts are inherently much smaller, though
they grow at about the same rate when young,
Cobnuts can be kept small by pruning.

--
Anton

Old 30-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Tim

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:32:08 +0000 (UTC), anton
wrote:

mbb wrote in message ...
Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

No, but these guys might have the answers:
http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/
Times to yield in UK climates look a bit ambitious to me.

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm
interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in,
so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the walnuts grow eventually
afaik to be serious size trees. Cobnuts are inherently much smaller,
though
they grow at about the same rate when young,
Cobnuts can be kept small by pruning.

Walnut trees grow to be about the size of a good sized oak. Somewhere
between 30 and 80 ft high.
Not the thing for a small garden. I think you can keep them in check a bit
but are still going to be around the size of an apple tree after not too
long.

Old 30-07-2003, 06:22 PM
anton

wrote:

mbb wrote in message ...
[...]

Just remembered- I think walnuts are sometimes planted
in root control bags which keeps them pretty small (and
helps induce early fruiting?)

--
Anton

Old 31-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Alan Holmes

"mbb" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?

For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile? I'm interested
in both Walnuts and Cobnuts, but have very little space to fit them in, so
need self fertile, and small, bush type trees.

Forget walnuts if you don't have much room.

I have grown both and the walnut is at present about 30 feet high and 30
feet across,
it is about 25 years old and has been fruiting for about 18 years, although
for many
years I got very little from it due to the squirrels which are now a little
under control.

The cob grew to about 20 feet high and 20 feet across, it could have been
kept
smaller but the size didn't worry me, I have had to drastically reduce it's
size as my
neighbour took exception to it growing over her garden allthough her
boyfriend did
like the produce it left on his side of the fence.

Alan

Old 31-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Mike Roscoe

"mbb" wrote in a message:
Has anyone any experience with Walnut 'Lara'?
For example, how quickly would it crop, is it self fertile?

--------
I'm surprised that no one has remembered the old walnut tree rhyme,
"A woman, a dog and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the
better they'll be." An old farmer told me that in order to
get walnut trees to crop quickly, people would often bruise the bark
by hitting with sticks. Whether he was pulling my leg I don't know.

Mike Roscoe

Old 19-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Tim Tyler

Mike Roscoe wrote:

: I'm surprised that no one has remembered the old walnut tree rhyme,
: "A woman, a dog and a walnut tree, the more you beat them the
: better they'll be." An old farmer told me that in order to
: get walnut trees to crop quickly, people would often bruise the bark
: by hitting with sticks. Whether he was pulling my leg I don't know.

Unripe walnuts must be loosened from the branch by shaking or beating
the tree. That seems likely to be the origin of the rhyme.
--
__________
Old 19-08-2003, 04:23 PM

Tim Tyler wrote:

Unripe walnuts must be loosened from the branch by shaking or beating
the tree

I've seen considerable discussion about this, and some fruit and nut trees
will indeed bear sooner if you beat their trunk with a stick. Mechanism
uncertain, but the theory is that the tree thinks it's going to die, and
had better reproduce itself first!

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at www.albany.net/~gwoods, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver

fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68 0B

Old 19-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Tim Tyler wrote:

Unripe walnuts must be loosened from the branch by shaking or beating
the tree

I've seen considerable discussion about this, and some fruit and nut trees
will indeed bear sooner if you beat their trunk with a stick. Mechanism
uncertain, but the theory is that the tree thinks it's going to die, and
had better reproduce itself first!

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at www.albany.net/~gwoods, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver

fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68 0B

Squrrels Eat My Nuts edward holt United Kingdom 4 04-06-2003 08:08 PM
nuts from Araucaria Richard Wright Plant Science 5 18-05-2003 09:20 AM
bunya nuts John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
bunya nuts John Savage Australia 11 08-03-2003 07:57 PM
Large Wooden Nuts Steve United Kingdom 9 09-12-2002 08:00 PM