Old 02-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Registered User

Default 2 parts - hedges and wisteria

Although I have been an avid gardener for may years, I have recently bought my first house, and now I am having to think about trees and shrubs, where I used to be only concerned with annuals and perennials in my rented home. 2 questions for anyone that can spare the time to help me out!

First, the front of my house is east facing, with a small space that is covered in concrete. I live in the south, in nortn west London. I am going to remove part of the concrete and renew the soil. I would like to plant a box hedge near to the house and trim it neat to the bottom of the front bay window. There is a strip of concrete that runs along the house and protrudes about 2 feet from the house, and this will stay. So ultimately, the hedge will grow 2 feet from the house but with the hedge butt up against some hard paving. My question is to whether this is too close to the house – any potential for root damage to the house foundation? What variety of box hedge would you recommend? Do any of the varieties grow quickly or will I be waiting 10 years for it to grow 4 feet high? Is it best to by more mature species or smaller ones and trim them as they grow.

Second question is concerning wisteria. Again, are there varieties I should avoid that might cause damage to the house if planted right next to the wall (no concrete issue in this area)? Should I be concerned with trying to contain the root system in an underground container? Does anyone have a particular favourite variety that is different in some way – a particularly blue flower? Are the different varieties very different in growth rates?

Sorry for all the questions – I probably need to go out and get some new books!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Paul Kelly

"Buddman" wrote in message
s.com...
. My question is to
whether this is too close to the house – any potential for root damage
to the house foundation?

No problem at all

What variety of box hedge would you
recommend?

I'd go for the basic B.sepervirens. It makes by far the best close cropped
hedge

Do any of the varieties grow quickly or will I be waiting 10
years for it to grow 4 feet high?

Prepare well, water well in first souple of growing seasons and you will be
surprised how quickly it will get to 4 ft

Is it best to by more mature species
or smaller ones and trim them as they grow.

All depends on how much you want to spend. Tiny rooted cuttings are the
cheapest but i find it best to go for a 20/30 cm size.

I've used
http://www.romantic-garden-nursery.c...lt.asp?cat=337 a
number of times and have been very impressed £1.65 for 20/25cm bare root
stock. All supplied to me have had excellent root srtucure. I've never had
any failures.

Alternatively http://www.boxwood.co.uk/ do sizes up to 1.4m (50/60cm @
£9.50)

pk

Old 05-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Default wisteria

anyone with input?
Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Buddman" wrote in message
s.com...

anyone with input?

Yes.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Default Franz!

Thanks Franz. So should I plant 3 or a red one?

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Buddman" wrote in message
s.com...
Thanks Franz. So should I plant 3 or a red one?

Hey, Buddman, I did not say I had any input. I said that there was one here
with input.

[Franz Heymann]

Hedges: species and age rbel[_2_] United Kingdom 3 21-07-2011 09:02 AM
Hedges and 'The Act' Mike United Kingdom 2 05-04-2006 05:09 PM
Intro and question hedges V. Gardening 1 17-03-2005 12:21 PM
tiger head and parts johnnny Ponds 9 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
AD:Lawn and garden equipment parts Ken Shelton Lawns 0 06-12-2002 07:07 AM