Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Kay Easton

Default Borage

In article , anne
writes
Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?

Yes - but then most of my emails are with people I correspond with
regularly and at length, and interspersing comments with text saves us
having to write extra to indicate which bit we're replying to of the
long email we're replying to.

Think about it... firstly it
really *does not matter*,

What you do in your private life doesn't matter, but when you join a
group you must expect flak if you deliberately flout the conventions of
that group.

but secondly if someone happens to catch a thread
mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore they
will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
them (I have done it myself). I personally prefer top postings - it saves me
scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I disagree".

That shouldn't happen if people snip sensibly.

If this was alt.newsgroup.etiquette I may be more tolerant, but, because it
isn't, I think you are very very petty. If it's top posted or bottom posted
I do not care - the content is what I am interested in.

It is easy to say that, but the objection to top posting is it makes the
content a lot harder to get at - especially in a group which has the
convention of bottom posting.

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

That is a bigoted generalisation, your second IIRC. The ng would retain
more of its pleasantness if you would refrain from comments like that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
hugo agogo

"anne" pontificated :

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

Thank goodness for bloody foreigners - I hope they manage to introduce
a measure of order amongst us undisciplined and inconsiderate brits.
In my considered opinion, top-posting is anti-social, as is not
snipping the previous message(s) to the bare minimum. And yes, I do
top-post when replying to e-mails, because the addressee(s) are
normally familiar with the previous correspondence.

And just to keep this vaguely on topic, I am fortunate that my
allotment has borage all over the place. It self-seeds like mad, but
I don't mind - it's an attractive plant, the bees like it also, and it
goes superbly in my Pimm's. And by the way, as nobody seems to know
how to make a decent Pimm's (except for me), here is my favourite
recipe (from Michael Jackson): Mix 1½oz Pimm's, ½oz Dry Gin, a dash
of Cointreau and 2 tins of cold 7Up or Sprite in a large jug with
plenty of ice and a squeeze of lemon (depending on taste). Pour into
tall glasses, and garnish with any or all of the following: slice of
orange or lemon or apple, a lengthwise slice of cucumber skin, a sprig
of mint, a leaf and some flowers of borage. Sit back in your garden
on a warm summer's evening, and enjoy!!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
"anne" pontificated :

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

Thank goodness for bloody foreigners - I hope they manage to introduce
a measure of order amongst us undisciplined and inconsiderate brits.
In my considered opinion, top-posting is anti-social, as is not
snipping the previous message(s) to the bare minimum. And yes, I do
top-post when replying to e-mails, because the addressee(s) are
normally familiar with the previous correspondence.

And in addition, an email sequence is usually a simple A B A B A B sequence.
In a newsgroup thread the situation is much more open ended.

And just to keep this vaguely on topic, I am fortunate that my
allotment has borage all over the place. It self-seeds like mad, but
I don't mind - it's an attractive plant, the bees like it also, and it
goes superbly in my Pimm's. And by the way, as nobody seems to know
how to make a decent Pimm's (except for me), here is my favourite
recipe (from Michael Jackson): Mix 1½oz Pimm's, ½oz Dry Gin, a dash
of Cointreau and 2 tins of cold 7Up or Sprite in a large jug with
plenty of ice and a squeeze of lemon (depending on taste). Pour into
tall glasses, and garnish with any or all of the following: slice of
orange or lemon or apple, a lengthwise slice of cucumber skin, a sprig
of mint, a leaf and some flowers of borage. Sit back in your garden
on a warm summer's evening, and enjoy!!

All this, when you could have enjoyed a glass of single malt?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 07:32 AM
The Reid

Following up to hugo agogo

Mix 1½oz Pimm's, ½oz Dry Gin, a dash
of Cointreau and 2 tins of cold 7Up or Sprite in a large jug with
plenty of ice and a squeeze of lemon (depending on taste). Pour into
tall glasses, and garnish with any or all of the following: slice of
orange or lemon or apple, a lengthwise slice of cucumber skin, a sprig
of mint, a leaf and some flowers of borage.

how do you feel about the inclusion of borage *leaves*? (I'm a giner
ale fan myself BTW)
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Old 06-08-2003, 05:02 PM
hugo agogo

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I like a good single malt too (especially Clynelish) but I'm not
sure about garnishing it with borage. In this weather you would be
wanting a coool drink, and of course you wouldn't be wanting to add
ice to your whisky, *would* you?!!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:02 PM
hugo agogo

The Reid wrote in message

Mix 1½oz Pimm's, ½oz Dry Gin, a dash
of Cointreau and 2 tins of cold 7Up or Sprite in a large jug with
plenty of ice and a squeeze of lemon (depending on taste). Pour into
tall glasses, and garnish with any or all of the following: slice of
orange or lemon or apple, a lengthwise slice of cucumber skin, a sprig
of mint, a leaf and some flowers of borage.

how do you feel about the inclusion of borage *leaves*? (I'm a giner
ale fan myself BTW)

This is a good point. Michael Jackson states borage *leaves* in his
recipe, and that Locatelli fellow on TV mentioned it also. And I have
had borage before which is so cucumber-ish that you don't need any
other garnish in your Pimm's. However, the borage which is all over
my allotment is not that cucumbery, and I find that the addition of
cucumber skin is required to give the drink that cooling taste, and
then I usually garnish with borage flowers instead of leaves. More
research into this important subject is definitely required.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Ryarsh,Kent

just to clarify, if i post a reply like this, is it good or bad..
I just prefer Pimms tall, cold, lots of ice, summers evening and good conversation.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I wasn't thinking about either a borage flavourer or an ice diluter. The
good stuff on its own cools on a hot day and heats on a cold one.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
mbb

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Certainly not !, (But tell me about Clynelish - I'm a Laphroig man, is it
similar?)

regards, mbb

Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"mbb" wrote in message

"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Meet a soulmate, although I have a slight preference for Lagavulin. Like
you, I am ignorant of Clynelish. I wonder where it is distilled.

Franz Heymann

Old 06-08-2003, 10:11 PM
David Hill

"..... Certainly not !, (But tell me about Clynelish - I'm a Laphroig man,
is it similar?)

Meet a soulmate, although I have a slight preference for Lagavulin. Like
you, I am ignorant of Clynelish. I wonder where it is distilled......"

I am one for Glenmorangie and have just been given a 1Ltr bottle of 15 yr
old for my birthday,
and as for ice or Water...Ugh sacrilege....

Regarding Clynelish new to me as well, but found this
http://highlandescape.com/index2.html

But in the hot weather I do like a Mackason or Guinness shandy and all I
add is a fair measure of sweat pouring from my forehead.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
hugo agogo

"mbb" wrote in message ...
"hugo agogo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Both are good, but quite different - a matter of taste. You have to
try Clynelish, but it's not easy to find.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes

Meet a soulmate, although I have a slight preference for Lagavulin. Like
you, I am ignorant of Clynelish. I wonder where it is distilled.

One of the inhabitants of this ng not only lives on the island heaven
which is home to Lagavulin, Laphroaig et al, he/she also lives within a
stone's throw of one of the distilleries. Does life get better than
that?

Free supplies?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Borage Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2011 06:19 PM
Borage Mark Anderson Gardening 21 15-03-2011 07:54 PM
Bee on Borage Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 20-04-2008 01:59 AM
Borage (Off Topic - Top Posting discussion) mbb United Kingdom 26 11-08-2003 06:11 AM