Old 04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
The Reid

Default Borage

I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Old 04-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Arthur" writes:
| Yes - copiously.
|
| "The Reid" wrote in message
| I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
| some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?

Only if it likes the conditions - it doesn't establish itself
with me.

Now, let's see if we get another infernal top poster, and can turn
this thread into something totally incomprehensible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:32 AM
The Reid

Following up to Nick Maclaren

| Yes - copiously.
|
| "The Reid" wrote in message
| I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
| some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?

Only if it likes the conditions - it doesn't establish itself
with me.

Now, let's see if we get another infernal top poster, and can turn
this thread into something totally incomprehensible.

I'll try. Any point in putting it in now? Probably best to wait till
spring I assume.

Exactly!

Why do poeple like the answer before the question? :-)
Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Rusty

"The Reid" wrote in message
I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?
--

Ours did, like mad. We now have a borage free garden. Sighs of relief from
me who always had to do the weeding.

Rusty

Old 04-08-2003, 01:03 PM
David Hill

".... Why do people like the answer before the question? ...."

Possibly because some people don't seem to know how to EDIT. threads.
You get a whole string repeated time after time and possibly just 2 or 3
words added, and I for 1 am sick of having to scroll through anything up to
100 lines to try to find the new bit

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Following up to Nick Maclaren

| Yes - copiously.
|
| "The Reid" wrote in message
| I noticed another allotment always has borage and decided to plant
| some, but I now note its an annual. Does it self seed?

Only if it likes the conditions - it doesn't establish itself
with me.

Now, let's see if we get another infernal top poster, and can turn
this thread into something totally incomprehensible.

I'll try. Any point in putting it in now? Probably best to wait till
spring I assume.

I dunno, Mike and Nick.Just ignore the arrogant idiots until they
learn civilised posting. Otherwise all threads will end up like this one
[Janet]

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
anne

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
anne

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
anne

Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell? Think about it... firstly it
really *does not matter*, but secondly if someone happens to catch a thread
mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore they
will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
them (I have done it myself). I personally prefer top postings - it saves me
scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I disagree".
If this was alt.newsgroup.etiquette I may be more tolerant, but, because it
isn't, I think you are very very petty. If it's top posted or bottom posted
I do not care - the content is what I am interested in.

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

[Anne]

Old 05-08-2003, 04:23 AM
anne

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 AM
The Reid

Following up to anne

Yes, but i'll try top posting here to see how it works.

Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?

Agreed, not in the scale of things

Think about it... firstly it really *does not matter*, but secondly if someone happens to catch a thread
mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore they
will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
them (I have done it myself).

Not snipping the irrelevant is as bigger "crime" as top posting

I personally prefer top postings - it saves me
scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I disagree".

launching into reading an answer to which I don't know the question
often means I pass on without bothering to find out what its all
about, same goes for posts with yards of quoted material before
anything is added. (these are general comments as I only post to this
group occasionally when I need sorting out with the allotment)
Bloody foreigners? Middle class Brits???? Yes a pleasant pastime for
all, whatever class or nationality.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
The Reid writes:
| Following up to anne
|
| Yes, but i'll try top posting here to see how it works.

And I shall respond in that spirit.

| Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?
|
| Agreed, not in the scale of things

Yes, of course.

| Think about it... firstly it really *does not matter*, but secondly if someone happens to catch a thread
| mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore they
| will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
| them (I have done it myself).
|
| Not snipping the irrelevant is as bigger "crime" as top posting

I almost always do that.

| I personally prefer top postings - it saves me
| scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I disagree".
|
| launching into reading an answer to which I don't know the question
| often means I pass on without bothering to find out what its all
| about, same goes for posts with yards of quoted material before
| anything is added. (these are general comments as I only post to this
| group occasionally when I need sorting out with the allotment)
| Bloody foreigners? Middle class Brits???? Yes a pleasant pastime for
| all, whatever class or nationality.
|
| For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
| think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
| yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!
|
| | Yes - copiously.
|
| Why do poeple like the answer before the question? :-)

You see now, I assume.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"anne" wrote in message

Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?

You have rather stupidly erased all the headers, so every vestige of context
has gone through the window.

You have also top posted. That practice is guaranteed to turn any
conversation into a badly built compost heap in time.

Nobody. Nobody. Nobody is asking anybody to bottom post. You are simply
being asked to reply in-line, putting each of your remarks immediately below
the specific comment to which it refers, leaving a blank line between your
remark and the prior one. That is the style which *all* the existing
expositions of netiquette ask usenet users to use, if the integrity of the
logical flow of the thread is to be maintained.

Think about it... firstly it
really *does not matter*, but secondly if someone happens to catch a

thread
mid discussion, a lot of it will have been [snipped] anyway, therefore

they
will probably download the whole thread if it is of particular interest to
them (I have done it myself). I personally prefer top postings - it saves

me
scrolling through old and read text just to read "I agreee" or "I

disagree".

On the other hand, seeing just "I agree" or "I disagree" at the top of a
complicated thread might convey some information to you. It certainly does
not do so to anybody else.

If this was alt.newsgroup.etiquette I may be more tolerant, but, because

it
isn't, I think you are very very petty. If it's top posted or bottom

posted
I do not care - the content is what I am interested in.

True. And the logic of the content is indescribably messed up once a long
thread (and that usually means an interesting thread) has been top posted
more than once.

For the guy who doesn't read top postings (was some bloody foreigner I
think - even worse than a middle class brit) then you are definitely up
yourself... this is UK gardening... a pleasant passtime?!

Yes. And as in the case of all other newsgroups, there is a recommended set
of rules of good behaviour. You are, of course, welcome to disobey the
rules, as long as you recognise that that defines you as being uncivilised.
[Franz Heymann]
The bloody foreigner who is even worse than a middle class Brit

Old 05-08-2003, 11:03 AM
The Reid

Following up to Nick Maclaren

| Yes, but i'll try top posting here to see how it works.

And I shall respond in that spirit.

| Do most of you bottom post to emails aswell?
|
| Agreed, not in the scale of things

Yes, of course.

we are having a laugh here, but seriously, I find the key advantage of
bottom posting is replying directly below the point raised, especially
when there are more than one or more than 2 persons in the discussion.

Borage Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 0 23-03-2011 06:19 PM
Borage Mark Anderson Gardening 21 15-03-2011 07:54 PM
Bee on Borage Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 20-04-2008 01:59 AM
Borage (Off Topic - Top Posting discussion) mbb United Kingdom 26 11-08-2003 06:11 AM