Old 04-08-2003, 11:39 PM
adi adi is offline
Registered User

Location: derby
Default what is this flowering plant?

Can anyone tell me what this flower is? i presume its wild its growing in a shady spot under my roses, its very pretty and produces lantern like seed pods. this picture was found on the web with no title but is most definately the same species. i was wondering if its worth growing it in maybe a pot or somthing.

thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
what is this flowering plant?-flower.jpg
__________________
Adi.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:45 PM
adi adi is offline
Registered User

Location: derby
Default heres a larger picture, sorry!

sorry i gave a link to the thumbnail
Old 05-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Paul Kelly

In s.com,
adi typed:
Can anyone tell me what this flower is? i presume its wild its growing
in a shady spot under my roses, its very pretty and produces lantern
like seed pods. this picture was found on the web with no title but is
most definately the same species. i was wondering if its worth growing
it in maybe a pot or somthing.

thanks.
| Attachment filename: flower.jpg |
|View attachment:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=256355|

Nigella aka love in a mist

pk

Old 05-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Spider

Your mystery plant is Nigella damascena. It is a freely self-seeding hardy
annual, growing to 18" (46cm). Any well-drained garden soil, in sun or
light shade. It flowers from July to September in shades of blue, white or
pink

If yours doesn't self-seed, Nigella seed is very readily available in most
garden shops. The seeds can be sown in autumn or spring where they are to
flower. Improving the soil results in bushier plants.

Spider.
s.com...

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=256357|

Old 05-08-2003, 10:01 PM
adi adi is offline
Registered User

Location: derby
Default thanks guys

thanks for your responses.

adi
__________________
Adi.

Old 05-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Jeff Coles

"adi" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone tell me what this flower is? i presume its wild its growing
in a shady spot under my roses, its very pretty and produces lantern
like seed pods. this picture was found on the web with no title but is
most definately the same species. i was wondering if its worth growing
it in maybe a pot or somthing.

thanks.
| Attachment filename: flower.jpg |
|View attachment:

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...?postid=256355|

Yup, agreed "Love in a Mist" (Nigella). I just harvested some seed heads
from the neighbours garden.

Jeff

Old 06-08-2003, 10:52 PM
adi adi is offline
Registered User

Location: derby

i hope your neigbours know about this
__________________
Adi.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:54 PM
adi adi is offline
Registered User

Location: derby
Default harvesting?

when is it ok to harvest the seeds?, do you have to wiat for the pods to go brown? at the moment they are all green.
__________________
Adi.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"adi" wrote in message
s.com...
i hope your neigbours know about this

What might this be about whose neighbours might know?

[Franz Heyman]

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"adi" wrote in message
s.com...
when is it ok to harvest the seeds?, do you have to wiat for the pods to
go brown? at the moment they are all green.

Please don't persist in snipping all context. It renders that branch of the
thread useless.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Spider

Check nigella seeds for ripeness as they start to turn brown so that you
don't miss the moment, and find they've self-seeded. When ripe, the seeds
should rattle in the then papery 'lanterns'.
Spider
s.com...
--
adi