Old 05-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Ian Macdonald

Default Honeysuckle Problem

I hope you can help.

I have a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Periclymenum Belgica) in a large pot and it
has thrived since I planted it in late Spring. It is now to a height of
over 10 feet.

Unfortunately over the past 3 weeks the leaves have started to become very
unhealthy and are thinning out from the bottom of the plant and this
thinning is moving up at a steady rate.

I would be obliged if you could go to this link which will demonstrate the
plant's current condition:
www.ian-mac.co.uk/honeysuckle.htm

I have always watered the plant very well and in fact I am wondering if this
condition has been caused by over watering.

I very much look forward to your replies and possible diagnosis.

Yours, Ian Macdonald, Manchester, UK

Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Rusty

"Ian Macdonald" wrote:
I hope you can help.
I have a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Periclymenum Belgica) in a large pot and it
has thrived since I planted it in late Spring. It is now to a height of
over 10 feet.
Unfortunately over the past 3 weeks the leaves have started to become very
unhealthy and are thinning out from the bottom of the plant and this
thinning is moving up at a steady rate.
I have always watered the plant very well and in fact I am wondering if
this condition has been caused by over watering.
I very much look forward to your replies and possible diagnosis.
----

Sounds rather like a physiological disorder due to in-correct growing
conditions. Your particular honeysuckle is a woodland species and should be
treated as such. At this time of year most woods are on the dry side with a
good layer of well rotted leaf mould helping to keep the underlying soil
damp. Lonicera periclymenum 'Belgica' prefers a dappled to full shade
position. Try a good covering of leaf mould on your pot, forking a little
into the soil. This will help to keep the soil damp and cut down the need
for you to water so often. If you haven't already done so, move the pot into
the shade. Your honeysuckle should recover in the long term but is not
likely to grow many new leaves this year.

Best of luck with it.
Rusty

Old 05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Ian Macdonald" wrote in message
I hope you can help.

I have a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Periclymenum Belgica) in a large pot and it
has thrived since I planted it in late Spring. It is now to a height of
over 10 feet.

Unfortunately over the past 3 weeks the leaves have started to become very
unhealthy and are thinning out from the bottom of the plant and this
thinning is moving up at a steady rate.

I would be obliged if you could go to this link which will demonstrate the
plant's current condition:
www.ian-mac.co.uk/honeysuckle.htm

I have always watered the plant very well and in fact I am wondering if

this
condition has been caused by over watering.

I very much look forward to your replies and possible diagnosis.

Yours, Ian Macdonald, Manchester, UK

I would consider that to be normal behavior for a pot grown honeysuckle,
especially in late summer, try fairly ruthless deadheading and it will come
back into growth later.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Ian Macdonald" wrote in message

I have a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Periclymenum Belgica) in a large pot and it
has thrived since I planted it in late Spring. It is now to a height of
over 10 feet.

Unfortunately over the past 3 weeks the leaves have started to become very
unhealthy and are thinning out from the bottom of the plant and this
thinning is moving up at a steady rate.

I would consider that to be normal behavior for a pot grown honeysuckle,
especially in late summer, try fairly ruthless deadheading and it will come
back into growth later.

My soil-grown ones do it, too, and normally recover. I am thinking
of replacing them with something else, but need to consider what.
In one case, it faces north-east, and gets NO direct rain, but can
run its roots under a block paved drive which does. The problem
seems to be that L. japonica and L. periclymenum respond to heat and
drought in summer by dropping leaves, as do a good many plants. It
doesn't cause them serious trouble, but makes them less decorative.
And, as you say, they resprout as the weather cools and wettens,
even if I don't prune them back, but do so more vigorously if I do.

Another plant that does it is Punica granatum (pomegranate), and that
can take quite serious heat and drought! But forgetting to water a
pot plant of it does make it unsightly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Ian Macdonald

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll put up with it for the rest of
this season but will move the pot into the shade ready for next year and
hope that the plant responds more favourably.

Thanks again, Ian Macdonald

Old 06-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Franz Heymann

"Ian Macdonald" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll put up with it for the rest

of
this season but will move the pot into the shade ready for next year and
hope that the plant responds more favourably.

Thanks again, Ian Macdonald

A last one, befoer we say goodbye to this thread: Will a honeysuckle thrive
on the North wall of my house?

[Franz Heymann]

Old 06-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Ian Macdonald" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll put up with it for the rest

of
this season but will move the pot into the shade ready for next year and
hope that the plant responds more favourably.

Thanks again, Ian Macdonald

A last one, befoer we say goodbye to this thread: Will a honeysuckle thrive
on the North wall of my house?

No idea, but they don't mind north walls in general.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Victoria Clare

"Ian Macdonald" wrote in
:

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll put up with it for the
rest of this season but will move the pot into the shade ready for
next year and hope that the plant responds more favourably.

I find that my honeysuckles like to be cut hard back. Only problems I've
ever had with them have been when I've left them to get overgrown. They
seem to like to be cleared back to the main stems every few years.

If in doubt, chop!
Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Ian Macdonald" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I'll put up with it for the

rest
of
this season but will move the pot into the shade ready for next year

and
hope that the plant responds more favourably.

Thanks again, Ian Macdonald

A last one, befoer we say goodbye to this thread: Will a honeysuckle

thrive
on the North wall of my house?

No idea, but they don't mind north walls in general.

Ask a silly question.....
Anyway, I got the answer I wanted. Thanks. I will try it out.

[Franz Heymann]