Old 05-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Bob H

Default Honeysuckle? problem

Hi,
about 18 months ago we put a Honeysuckle? climbing plant in a wooden
planter with an extended trellis at the rear so it would provide us with
some privacy over our near neighbours garden. The 1st year/last year, it
grew quite well and virtually covered all the trellis, but this year it is
a mess. It has grown poorly, no flowers appeared, and there are large bare
areas where the main body of the plant is very woody.

Question is, what is the best thing to do with it and when, so that it will
grow next year like it did the first year?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 PM
bnd777

"Bob H" wrote in message
news
Hi,
about 18 months ago we put a Honeysuckle? climbing plant in a wooden
planter with an extended trellis at the rear so it would provide us with
some privacy over our near neighbours garden. The 1st year/last year, it
grew quite well and virtually covered all the trellis, but this year it is
a mess. It has grown poorly, no flowers appeared, and there are large bare
areas where the main body of the plant is very woody.

Question is, what is the best thing to do with it and when, so that it
will
grow next year like it did the first year?

Thanks

Cut all stems right down to 1 ft and give it loads of compost plus water it
should grow through and up again

Old 05-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob H" wrote in message
news
Hi,
about 18 months ago we put a Honeysuckle? climbing plant in a wooden
planter with an extended trellis at the rear so it would provide us with
some privacy over our near neighbours garden. The 1st year/last year, it
grew quite well and virtually covered all the trellis, but this year it is
a mess. It has grown poorly, no flowers appeared, and there are large bare
areas where the main body of the plant is very woody.

Question is, what is the best thing to do with it and when, so that it
will
grow next year like it did the first year?

My first reaction is to suggest that you cut it back really hard to live
buds before the autumn is upon us, but I would like to hear what other
urglers think.

Franz

Thanks

Old 06-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:
"Bob H" wrote in message
news
Hi,
about 18 months ago we put a Honeysuckle? climbing plant in a wooden
planter with an extended trellis at the rear so it would provide us with
some privacy over our near neighbours garden. The 1st year/last year, it
grew quite well and virtually covered all the trellis, but this year it is
a mess. It has grown poorly, no flowers appeared, and there are large bare
areas where the main body of the plant is very woody.

Question is, what is the best thing to do with it and when, so that it

will
grow next year like it did the first year?

My first reaction is to suggest that you cut it back really hard to live
buds before the autumn is upon us, but I would like to hear what other
urglers think.

It depends on the species. With L. japonica and species that shoot
from the base, why stop at a foot? And any time will do - I would
tend to shear it off at ground level in spring.

With L. x tellmanniana, L. x brownii and the species that are very
single-stemmed, that might be the end of it.

It is probably one of the former, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Janice

If you do decide to cut it right back you should have no problems with
re-growth. My old honeysuckle wasn't flowering well, so I hacked it right
back leaving about a foot of stem. The first year it grew back lots of
shoots and leaves, no flowers. But this year it's absolutely laden with
flowers which are still going strong.

Old 06-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Bob H

Thanks to all for your advice etc.
I have now hacked it right back to about a foot or so, and will give it
some garden compost later, but should that be sooner?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
Thanks to all for your advice etc.
I have now hacked it right back to about a foot or so, and will give it
some garden compost later, but should that be sooner?

If it is L. japonica or L. periclymenum (the most common ones), then
it doesn't make a damn of difference. They are as tough as old
boots and will thrive in very poor soil (as well as rich soil).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bob H" wrote in message
news
Thanks to all for your advice etc.
I have now hacked it right back to about a foot or so, and will give it
some garden compost later, but should that be sooner?

Later

Franz