Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Dahlias

From: "The Devil's Advocate"
Subject: Dahlias
Date: 05 August 2003 19:07

[snip in order to repaste in its proper place]

Franz Heymann wrote:
I would like to try to grow a small collection of dwarf Dahlias
next year. I live high up in Wensleydale, in North Yorkshire. The
growing season here is curtailed by approximately 2 weeks at both
ends compared to gardens in the South. The winters are not
outrageously cold, but can be very wet for protracted periods The
piece of ground which I want to use is in clear light, but houses on
either side obscure direct early morning and late afternoon sun. I
have indoor storage space for tubers, and a most friendly neighbour
with a cold greenhouse. (It is small, and can be kept frost free
with one or two oil lamps)

Who is courageous enough to suggest a few early flowering
cultivars not exceeding 18" in height?

My favourites are a fair bit taller than that but try here
http://www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk/
I expect the man himself will answer soon

I was secretly hoping to elicit a response from him.

[Franz Heymann]

dahlias...am I in trouble seepnezorf1 Gardening 2 02-06-2003 03:32 AM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM
Dahlias and Cannas at Wisley Ian Wilkins United Kingdom 0 30-09-2002 10:24 AM