Old 06-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Resilience of perennials

This year in our part of the world, N.W.France, has been very unusual
with its extremes of weather.

It is a marvel to me that so many perennials have survived a
difference of 50 degrees in temperature since the beginning of the
year. We went down to minus 12 on two separate occasions in the
winter. Yesterday we had 38 degrees, which is nowhere near normal for
us. We are flagging but most of the plants have withstood it!

Iris McCanna

--
(All outgoing messages certified virus free)

Old 06-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Barry & Iris McCanna" writes:
| This year in our part of the world, N.W.France, has been very unusual
| with its extremes of weather.
|
| It is a marvel to me that so many perennials have survived a
| difference of 50 degrees in temperature since the beginning of the
| year. We went down to minus 12 on two separate occasions in the
| winter. Yesterday we had 38 degrees, which is nowhere near normal for
| us. We are flagging but most of the plants have withstood it!

I have once had a daily variation of about 40 Celcius. Many
plants are well adapted to that. I rather like temperatures in
the high 30s and low 40s, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Barry & Iris McCanna" writes:
| This year in our part of the world, N.W.France, has been very

unusual
| with its extremes of weather.
|
| It is a marvel to me that so many perennials have survived a
| difference of 50 degrees in temperature since the beginning of

the
| year. We went down to minus 12 on two separate occasions in the
| winter. Yesterday we had 38 degrees, which is nowhere near

normal for
| us. We are flagging but most of the plants have withstood it!

I have once had a daily variation of about 40 Celcius. Many
plants are well adapted to that. I rather like temperatures in
the high 30s and low 40s, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You can come over here then Nick!

Iris

Old 06-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

I have once had a daily variation of about 40 Celcius. Many
plants are well adapted to that. I rather like temperatures in
the high 30s and low 40s, too :-)

Ugh! I hate it! Good job I live in Yorkshire!
(Well, actually, it's the reason I live in Yorkshire - got fed up of the
lack of a proper winter in the SE)

Atm I'm surviving by getting up at 6.30 to do some gardening, then
retiring for the rest of the day to my cool north facing study with its
22inch stone walls
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: