Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM
jerrybuilt

Default Best lawn weedkiller?

Al wrote:
just had new turf put in. Some weeds have started to grow
through the grass.

What is the best and most economical lawn weedkiller? I'm
happy to use a watering can or pump spray to spread the
weedkiller.

To kill everything, slosh on some glyphosphate, or for longer
term treatment use sodium chloride. The whole lawn will go
brown and die quickly.

Oh - that's not what you want? Ah. So.

Regular mowing will do for most weeds. Spot seeding will do
for plantains, thistles, dandelions etc. I don't know what
area treatments are used now, try asking your school or football
club groundsman, or at a garden centre (you may not want to pay
their prices, just get ideas), or try uk.rec.gardening (I have
taken the liberty of cross-psoting this).

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"jerrybuilt " ] wrote in message
Al wrote:
just had new turf put in. Some weeds have started to grow
through the grass.

What is the best and most economical lawn weedkiller? I'm
happy to use a watering can or pump spray to spread the
weedkiller.

To kill everything, slosh on some glyphosphate, or for longer
term treatment use sodium chloride. The whole lawn will go
brown and die quickly.

Souium chloride is table salt. Sodium chlotare is a totally annihilating
plantkiller. It is explosively inflammable. It is a poison. It leaves the
soil unusable for at least one whole season. Which did you mean to
recommend?

Old 07-08-2003, 08:29 PM

Al wrote:
just had new turf put in. Some weeds have started to grow
through the grass.

What is the best and most economical lawn weedkiller? I'm
happy to use a watering can or pump spray to spread the
weedkiller.

To kill everything, slosh on some glyphosphate, or for longer
term treatment use sodium chloride. The whole lawn will go
brown and die quickly.

Souium chloride is table salt. Sodium chlotare is a totally annihilating

A little bit of proof reading would have made that comment more
convincing! :-) Sodium chlorate is the weedkiller, though sodium
chloride will of course kill most plants if sufficent is applied.

plantkiller. It is explosively inflammable. It is a poison. It leaves the
soil unusable for at least one whole season. Which did you mean to
recommend?

It's not inflammable itself but it's a very strong oxidising agent so
will explode with material that oxidises easily (like twigs etc. which
of course it's quite likely to come into contact with). What you can
buy nowadays at garden centres etc. is mixed with something inert to
reduce the chances of it exploding and also to reduce the possibility
of terrorists (or others) making bombs with it.

--
Chris Green )
Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[snip]

Souium chloride is table salt. Sodium chlotare is a totally annihilating
plantkiller. It is explosively inflammable. It is a poison. It leaves

the
soil unusable for at least one whole season. Which did you mean to
recommend?

Sorry. Sodium chloride and sodium chlorate respectively. I must have had
one too many.

[snip]

[Franz Heymann]

Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Franz Heymann

Al wrote:
just had new turf put in. Some weeds have started to grow
through the grass.

What is the best and most economical lawn weedkiller? I'm
happy to use a watering can or pump spray to spread the
weedkiller.

To kill everything, slosh on some glyphosphate, or for longer
term treatment use sodium chloride. The whole lawn will go
brown and die quickly.

Souium chloride is table salt. Sodium chlotare is a totally

annihilating

A little bit of proof reading would have made that comment more
convincing! :-) Sodium chlorate is the weedkiller, though sodium
chloride will of course kill most plants if sufficent is applied.

You are right. My apologies.

plantkiller. It is explosively inflammable. It is a poison. It leaves

the
soil unusable for at least one whole season. Which did you mean to
recommend?

It's not inflammable itself but it's a very strong oxidising agent so
will explode with material that oxidises easily (like twigs etc. which
of course it's quite likely to come into contact with).

That is correct. I was trying to be brief.

Old 11-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Andrew Jackson

I'm certainly no expert but read a Which magazine report earlier this year
which (I think) generally recommended liquid rather than granual based
products. Levington Evergreen (liquid) came tops in the survey for combined
lawn feed / weedkiller products and I've been very impressed with it. My
lawn was almost ruined by creeping buttercup but following 2 applications of
Evergreen its looking much better and the buttercups are almost a thing of
the past. I think it costs about £5 for a 1 litre pack which will cover 100
sq m of lawn.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Al

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the Levington.

I noticed on a number of different brands the blurb said not to use
the product on lawn that was less than 6 months old. I guess I'll wait
unitl next year then!

Al.

Best solution for dog pee burn on lawn - water, lime, gypsum -what is best? Bob F Lawns 2 15-06-2016 07:22 PM
weedkiller and lawn (maybe a silly question...) P. Alves United Kingdom 6 13-08-2009 11:07 AM
Lawn weedkiller - pet friendly chris thame United Kingdom 0 05-06-2009 04:12 PM
Weedkiller TAK United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:14 AM
Environmentally Friendly Weedkiller Jane Ransom United Kingdom 3 28-09-2002 04:51 PM