Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Aileen Howard

Default Falling leaves

Hi all,

I have an old flowering cherry tree which is around 25 ft high with a
similar spread. As you can imagine, there will be lots of leaves falling -
already started with the drought conditions. I don't have a compost
heap/bin as hubby hates them, but I wondered whether I should bag them -
will they turn magically into leaf mould which I could use next year as
mulch or compost?

Regards, Aileen

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Mike

In article , Aileen
Howard writes

I don't have a compost
heap/bin as hubby hates them,

Now I don't rate my self as a gardener, but even 'I' know that every
garden should have a compost heap, sooooooooooo, if your hubby is less
of a gardener than me, send him indoors to watch TV and get on with the
garden your self, and, have a compost bin :-)))

Mike
General dogsbody to Joan the Gardener

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT LIFE, THAT ADULTS HAVE LEARNED:
Families are like fudge . . .mostly sweet, with a few nuts.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Aileen Howard

Mike

I do all the gardening anyway. I occasionally use him as labourer when the
digging gets too hard, but he has to look at the results, and just hates
compost bins/heaps, whatever. Still, he has to 'shell out' for lots of bags
of compost instead

Regards, Aileen

PS What about the leaves? Do I bag them or throw them away?

------

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
bigboard

Aileen Howard wrote:
Mike

I do all the gardening anyway. I occasionally use him as labourer when the
digging gets too hard, but he has to look at the results, and just hates
compost bins/heaps, whatever. Still, he has to 'shell out' for lots of bags
of compost instead

Regards, Aileen

PS What about the leaves? Do I bag them or throw them away?

Bag them. Making leaf mould takes longer than normal compost though.
Depending on conditions, it may be two years before you have useable
material.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Essjay001

bigboard wrote:
Aileen Howard wrote:
Mike

I do all the gardening anyway. I occasionally use him as labourer
when the digging gets too hard, but he has to look at the results,
and just hates compost bins/heaps, whatever. Still, he has to
'shell out' for lots of bags of compost instead

Regards, Aileen

PS What about the leaves? Do I bag them or throw them away?

Bag them. Making leaf mould takes longer than normal compost though.
Depending on conditions, it may be two years before you have useable
material.

And when he complains about bags of leaves or the cost of compost you then
have a barganing tool.

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Aileen Howard

Thanks, I'll 'archive' that for propaganda purposes. Seriously, he's one of
the 'good guys', so can't really complain.

Aileen