Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Alison

Default Apologies - Pruning Stuff

Sorry if replies were sent to my last post - this is the second time that
it's looked as if there were no replies when maybe there have been (a
different post last time). If you did reply, can you copy me again please,
and if you didn't but would like to, please feel free. Thanks again.
Original post as follows....

Ok so hedges are a bit new to me. We planted a beech hedge and a privet
hedge last autumn and I'm wondering when is the right time for pruning?

Also an established Laurel hedge. I've trimmed this before but must have
cut off all the potential flowering bits cos we've not had flowers except on
the bit I couldn't reach :-( Is there a right time for this too in order to
retain the flowers?

Step-over apple trees. Newly planted this spring but wondering if I need to
trim sideshoots yet and if so, by how much?

Rose, Ispahan - when and by how much?

Rambling rose, Viechenblau (sp?) with bad attack of black spot and almost no
leaves left :-( What does it flower on next year? This year's growth? In
which case am I too late to prune it so it looks less straggly?

TIA
--Alison

Old 12-08-2003, 03:37 PM
david

you don't seem to be in luck! all I know about is beech hedges; you prune
them at planting to encourage groth lower down, and then in late summer to
ensure the leaves stay on through the winter. Maybe not the first summer - I
waited till their second summer to clip the tops (just a day or two ago).
David

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...

Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
cross

Also an established Laurel hedge. I've trimmed this before but must have
cut off all the potential flowering bits cos we've not had flowers except

on
the bit I couldn't reach :-( Is there a right time for this too in order

retain the flowers?

Step-over apple trees. Newly planted this spring but wondering if I need

trim sideshoots yet and if so, by how much?

Rose, Ispahan - when and by how much?

Rambling rose, Viechenblau (sp?) with bad attack of black spot and almost

no
---------
Starting at the bottom,

Viechenblau can be pruned back now to tidy it up, but does not have to be
pruned, being a rambler.

Step-over apple trees, should have side shoots pruned to 3 or 4 leaves, I
think.

I don't think that laurel hedges are usually left to flower. The normal
cutting routine removes the flowering shoots. If you leave it to flower
first it will be more tree than hedge ;-)

Marina
E. Sx
ps. Will look up Rosa Ispahan