Old 24-09-2003, 03:32 AM
peri

Default ATTN MADGARDENER! my most sincere apologies

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:19:22 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

I have to "mess with Outlook Express" because I have Windows XP professional
and the e-mail program, Outlook that can handle the massive e-mails does
fine but doesn't allow me to use it for going to the newsgroup. -

------------------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------

Outlook is fine for email, so long as you have the patches & etc in
place. For newsgroups, why don't you try FreeAgent? The price is
right if you can put up with the ads, and it seems to be a much better
newsreader that OE. Agent also does email, but I don't know how well
since I have'nt tried it.

For your convenience, http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Old 24-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Dave Fouchey

wrote:

I have to "mess with Outlook Express" because I have Windows XP professional
and the e-mail program, Outlook that can handle the massive e-mails does
fine but doesn't allow me to use it for going to the newsgroup. -

------------------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------

Outlook is fine for email, so long as you have the patches & etc in
place. For newsgroups, why don't you try FreeAgent? The price is
right if you can put up with the ads, and it seems to be a much better
newsreader that OE. Agent also does email, but I don't know how well
since I have'nt tried it.

For your convenience, http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

I used free agent for years and finally upgraded to agent to get the
added features. Never have used it for E-mail, use Eudora Pro instead.

http://www.eudora.com/

Great mail client and a lot easier to keep clean than Outlook

Dave
Old 24-09-2003, 07:22 AM

wrote:

I have to "mess with Outlook Express" because I have Windows XP professional
and the e-mail program, Outlook that can handle the massive e-mails does
fine but doesn't allow me to use it for going to the newsgroup. -

------------------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------

Outlook is fine for email, so long as you have the patches & etc in
place. For newsgroups, why don't you try FreeAgent? The price is
right if you can put up with the ads, and it seems to be a much better
newsreader that OE. Agent also does email, but I don't know how well
since I have'nt tried it.

I have used Agent for many years, and am well satisfied. It is a
powerful and elegant newsreader and email client. Very versatile
and flexible. People on the Agent newsgroup are helpful.

For the lousy $29 I paid years ago, I have received several upgrades
and lots of good advice, so I would advise anyone interested not
to bother with Free Agent, but to d/l the 30-day trial of real Agent,
if this pitch doesn't convince you to buy it immediately g.
BTW, there are NO ads on real Agent.

I never mess with OE unless Netscape is on the blink and I need
to surf the Web. I certainly would NEVER use that "leaky" system
for email or anything else I didn't want "harvested"!

--

Persephone

For your convenience, http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Old 26-09-2003, 09:42 AM
jammer

wrote:

I have to "mess with Outlook Express" because I have Windows XP professional
and the e-mail program, Outlook that can handle the massive e-mails does
fine but doesn't allow me to use it for going to the newsgroup. -

------------------------------------------------------snip--------------------------------

Outlook is fine for email, so long as you have the patches & etc in
place. For newsgroups, why don't you try FreeAgent? The price is
right if you can put up with the ads, and it seems to be a much better
newsreader that OE. Agent also does email, but I don't know how well
since I have'nt tried it.

For your convenience, http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

I used free agent for years and finally upgraded to agent to get the
added features. Never have used it for E-mail, use Eudora Pro instead.

http://www.eudora.com/

I, also, used free agent for a while and then upgraded to Agent. I
dont use it for email, but it's easy enough to do.

Old 28-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Ann

peri expounded:

Outlook is fine for email, so long as you have the patches & etc in
place. For newsgroups, why don't you try FreeAgent? The price is
right if you can put up with the ads, and it seems to be a much better
newsreader that OE. Agent also does email, but I don't know how well
since I have'nt tried it.

For your convenience, http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

I'm just skimming through rec.gardens for the first time in weeks, and
I stumble on this. I can't believe that anyone blames Marilyn for the
virus messages, anyone with half a brain can read web pages galore
about the latest Swen virus, which is News spelled backwards, and
realize that all of our addresses are being harvested by a spambot and
bogus messages are generated.

I've had thousands of them, too, and received Mad's e-mail.....and
someone got mad about it? What is wrong with people?

Marilyn, you know, honey, I love you and would never get mad at you
for sending me anything. People have way too much time on their hands
and are very mean to think that you'd spew these viruses at anyone.

I use Mailwasher Pro but I let the messages come through so I can
forward them to my ISP, who is trying to block them on their server
end.

As for newsreaders, that's the only fault I can lay at your fee, Mad.
Please, get Free Agent and stop using Outhouse Express! Or pay the
measly $29 for Agent. A plain text newsreader can be set to not
execute any code, I don't run any antivirus software, but then again,
I don't open anything I don't recognize, and I know .exe, .scr, .com,
..bat, etc are all viri-laden attachments. Get Free Agent and read
news without the threat.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 28-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Babberney

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:12:40 -0400, Ann wrote:

peri expounded:

I use Mailwasher Pro but I let the messages come through so I can
forward them to my ISP, who is trying to block them on their server
end.
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
********************************

Just a quick thanks to all who mentioned this software after the
attack of viral mail we went (are going) through. I have saved hours
by downloading headers and deleting rather than waiting 30 seconds per
message for the (quarantined by Norton) attachments.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 29-09-2003, 04:31 AM
loonyhiker

I too have had emails from Maddie and NEVER gotten a virus attached to
one of her emails. Some viruses are attached to emails that are sent
through a person's address book and can even look like it was sent by
someone in that address book. I use norton antivirus religiously and i
have never gotten a virus from her!

loony