Old 13-08-2003, 11:12 PM
anne

Default Swedes 3 months early

I sowed some swede seeds at the recommended time (early may) and they
shouldn't be ready until November. However, half of them at least, look big
enough already (large grapefruit size, it says it my book). So my question
is, will it be OK to lift some now - will they taste ok being of right size
but wrong time and if I don't, how big are these things going to get?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 17-08-2003, 07:02 AM
anne

anne wrote in message
I sowed some swede seeds at the recommended time (early may) and they
shouldn't be ready until November. However, half of them at least, look

big
enough already (large grapefruit size, it says it my book). So my question
is, will it be OK to lift some now - will they taste ok being of right

size
but wrong time and if I don't, how big are these things going to get?

Thanks for any advice.

To answer my own question - don't do it, they will taste bitter. Apparently
a bit of frosty weather improves the flavour.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:42 PM
David Hill

".....To answer my own question - don't do it, they will taste bitter.
Apparently a bit of frosty weather improves the flavour. ........"

So bung them in the freezer for a bit.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
".....To answer my own question - don't do it, they will taste bitter.
Apparently a bit of frosty weather improves the flavour. ........"

So bung them in the freezer for a bit.

Will that work? In parsnips at any rate I thought that conversion of
some of the starch to sugar was an 'antifreeze' response of the plant to
cold weather, and needed the plant to be still alive.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Growing swedes successfully michael United Kingdom 1 14-03-2008 05:31 PM
Swedes Mr Chips Edible Gardening 1 03-10-2006 04:33 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 8 24-02-2004 11:45 PM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 12:58 AM
Timperley Early - very early Jonathan Culver United Kingdom 0 23-02-2004 11:58 PM