Old 14-08-2003, 04:42 AM
bowtiejim

Default OT - Horse flies

To return to a topic of last year, I am allergic to horse flies, and am
finding I'm having to limit my work in the garden to the early morning
during the present warm weather. Later in the day the flies find me within
minutes; fortunately their bite is so painful that I notice it immediately
and I carry a tube of Antihistan around with me. Autan works well as a
deterrent, but the flies can bite through a shirt or even a pair of socks.

We live near the pingo trail in Breckland, Norfolk so there is little chance
of getting away from the little b....

The last time I got seriously bitten was near a nipple and by the time I got
to the hospital one side of my chest would have done Pamela Anderson
justice. The nurses could not hide their amusement and a number of heads
appeared round the cubicle curtain while awaited a couple of jabs.

Old 14-08-2003, 08:12 AM
David Hill

I would ask your Doctor if it would be possible for you to have an "Anti
allergy" course for Horse flies.
I used to have the same problem with wasp stings, but had a course that
lasted almost a year (that was 12 years ago) and it works.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Michael Berridge

bowtiejim wrote in message ...
[...]

Why not take one of the anti allergy pills such as Benadryl, I take them
during June and the rest of summer I take them if I am going anywhere
where there may be mosquitoes or horse flies. They work for me.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 16-08-2003, 12:33 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "bowtiejim" contains these words:

To return to a topic of last year, I am allergic to horse flies,

Perhaps I'm lucky to have good peripheral vision. While there are loads
of horse flies about he horses, sheep and cattle nearby; I haven't
been bitten once this year despite working in the garden in just a pair
of shorts.

I wouldn't like to try to estimate though, the number of dead horse
flies adding to the fertility of my soil....

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Horse Flies Jim[_19_] Lawns 7 31-08-2009 03:58 PM
Horse flies Kate Morgan United Kingdom 13 03-07-2006 09:31 AM
horse flies Andrew United Kingdom 6 19-04-2003 10:26 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM