Old 23-08-2009, 01:51 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Horse Flies

Randy wrote:

[....]

You have no experience with them.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef451.asp

"Unfortunately, research conducted at the University of Kentucky showed
that the traps attract many more beetles than are actually caught.
Consequently, susceptible plants along the flight path of the beetles
and in the vicinity of traps are likely to suffer much more damage than
if no traps are used at all."

"In most landscape situations, use of Japanese beetle traps probably
will do more harm than good. If you experiment with traps, be sure to
place them well away from gardens and landscape plants."

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef451.asp

this was but one of many different studies where their findings were
the same.

In our study, which we chose not to publish due to reasons connected
with our funding, we determined how one out of every four Japanese beetles
attracted to the trap actually escaped the trap. Those beetles attracted
to the trap who escaped the trap laid their eggs in the nearby lawns and
created serious lawn destruction resulting from grubs.
Old 23-08-2009, 02:03 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Randy wrote:

[....]

[...]

Yup, using insect attractants to diminish the insect population is no
different from the stimulous plan that places even more debt on those who
weren't capable of handling money to begin with.

Old 23-08-2009, 02:04 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Aug 22, 7:51*pm, Jim wrote:
Randy wrote:

[....]

[...]

Not talking about japanese beetles and trapping them.
We're talking about flys.
Old 23-08-2009, 03:25 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

Randy wrote:

Jim wrote:
Randy wrote:

[....]

[...]

in that no trap is 100% the consequential result is the same. the
destruction may be different but then that in and of itself is not
the main point...
Old 31-08-2009, 02:12 AM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

My first time here for several years, but I will start again.
This is what I did for this subject:

I MURDERED MY ENEMY

It was a fly who flied so fast
I could not catch him when he passed.
For three whole days I hated more
Until I woke up, starting war.

And then he moved in front of me,
And zap - the hands my weapons be
Just swat him - crash onto the floor.
So now this enemy no more!

Now in my trash he is disposed,
And I'll keep doors and windows closed.

marvin

Marvin L. Zinn
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

Old 31-08-2009, 02:32 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

Marvin L. Zinn wrote:
My first time here for several years, but I will start again.
This is what I did for this subject:

I MURDERED MY ENEMY

It was a fly who flied so fast
I could not catch him when he passed.
For three whole days I hated more
Until I woke up, starting war.

And then he moved in front of me,
And zap - the hands my weapons be
Just swat him - crash onto the floor.
So now this enemy no more!

Now in my trash he is disposed,
And I'll keep doors and windows closed.

marvin

Marvin L. Zinn
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

I need a huge red pen to correct the butchery of the English language
in the doggerel you just spewed..

Van Helsing? Van Helsing: STOP EATING THOSE FLIES!!!

Old 31-08-2009, 02:51 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Grizzly" wrote:
Marvin L. Zinn wrote:

My first time here for several years, but I will start again.
This is what I did for this subject:

I MURDERED MY ENEMY

It was a fly who flied so fast
I could not catch him when he passed.
For three whole days I hated more
Until I woke up, starting war.

And then he moved in front of me,
And zap - the hands my weapons be
Just swat him - crash onto the floor.
So now this enemy no more!

Now in my trash he is disposed,
And I'll keep doors and windows closed.

marvin

Marvin L. Zinn
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

I need a huge red pen to correct the butchery of the English language in
the doggerel you just spewed..

I'd not call it spew or doggerel.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...poetic-license
As a general rule, poetry has a carefully controlled verbal structure. The
metre of the poem, the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables, and the
sounds and modulations of the words themselves all affect the subtle
meanings and feelings that the poet may be trying to convey or evoke. Poets
may distort normal prose patterns for the sake of form and therefore assume
poetic license; it is solely a matter of aesthetic judgement and sensibility
as to whether the alterations enhance or detract from the total effect of
the poem.

Old 31-08-2009, 03:58 PM posted to misc.rural,alt.home.lawn.garden

I worked in 20 countries, so I cannot express everything I saw for everyone
who reads it to understand. And English is one of the most complex.

From an injury for years ago with seven weeks coma when no doctor expected
me to live five minutes, I am back to excellent health. All I lost was words.
I still have to research a lot to see which one to use, and occasionally make
mistakes - but not in poetry which is for meaning, not grammar.

marvin

Marvin L. Zinn
Reply to:
Using Virtual Access
Windows 2000 build 2600

Horse flies Kate Morgan United Kingdom 13 03-07-2006 09:31 AM
OT - Horse flies bowtiejim United Kingdom 4 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
horse flies Andrew United Kingdom 6 19-04-2003 10:26 PM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM