Old 15-08-2003, 04:46 AM
David Hill

Default Butterflies

When I was cutting flowers today I was swamped by butterflies, around 50 of
them on a 70 ft row, have posted some pics on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Next thing to do is to name them.
Also have one that I have never seen before.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Malcolm

In article , David Hill
writes
When I was cutting flowers today I was swamped by butterflies, around 50 of
them on a 70 ft row, have posted some pics on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Next thing to do is to name them.
Also have one that I have never seen before.

They all appear to be Hedge Browns, though one or two are a bit dark to
be 100% certain, except for Nos. 2 and 10 which are Small
Tortoiseshells.

Hedge Browns are well known for appearing in quite large numbers in one
place.

Your "unknown" butterfly is a Painted Lady, a migrant from France which
has been particularly abundant this year.

--
Malcolm
Old 16-08-2003, 09:32 AM
David Hill

Many thanks Malcolm
there were 4 different types of "Little brown jobs" but was using the wife's
camera, and they were camera shy.
I think that at present we have around 14 or 15 different types of
butterflies but trying to identify is another thing.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Malcolm

In article , David Hill
writes
Many thanks Malcolm
there were 4 different types of "Little brown jobs" but was using the wife's
camera, and they were camera shy.
I think that at present we have around 14 or 15 different types of
butterflies but trying to identify is another thing.

Don't forget that males and females are different. Also, "little brown
jobs", including Hedge Browns, can be quite variable, depending on wear,
bleaching, damage, etc. Certainly I wasn't positive about all your
photographs, but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns,
I think.

--
Malcolm
Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
David Hill

"......... but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns, I
think. ........."

cant find hedge browns in my book. I was thinking various Meadow browns and
Ringlets

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 18-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Malcolm

In article , David Hill
writes
"......... but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns, I
think. ........."

cant find hedge browns in my book. I was thinking various Meadow browns and
Ringlets

Sorry, I was using an old name for them. Now mostly called the
Gatekeeper.

--
Malcolm
Old 18-08-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:19:30 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

"......... but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns, I
think. ........."

cant find hedge browns in my book. I was thinking various Meadow browns and
Ringlets

There's picture of a Hedge Brown on this site
http://www.sussexnatureweb.btinternet.co.uk/Diary.html

--
Martin
Old 18-08-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:42:40 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

In article , David Hill
writes
"......... but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns, I
think. ........."

cant find hedge browns in my book. I was thinking various Meadow browns and
Ringlets

Sorry, I was using an old name for them. Now mostly called the
Gatekeeper.

see
http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/but...gatekeeper.htm
--
Martin
Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Don't forget that males and females are different. Also, "little brown
jobs", including Hedge Browns, can be quite variable, depending on wear,
bleaching, damage, etc. Certainly I wasn't positive about all your
photographs, but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns,
I think.

I saw a strange brown-like butterfly the other day on my sunflowers:
Folded up it looked like a meadow brown, but when it opened its wings,
the hind pair were like a grayling, but the forewings were grey and
patterened like a fritillary.

Not in any of my books....

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

"......... but the ones which were clear enough were all Hedge Browns, I
think. ........."

cant find hedge browns in my book. I was thinking various Meadow browns and
Ringlets

Never heard of a hedge brown - wall brown, yes.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Malcolm contains these words:

Sorry, I was using an old name for them. Now mostly called the
Gatekeeper.

Ah. As you were then.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
reply.

Gaura Whirling Butterflies Natty_Dread Gardening 3 26-04-2003 07:56 PM
Attracting Butterflies Luke Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
White Butterflies Luke Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Caterpillars and Butterflies Jack United Kingdom 5 28-03-2003 08:44 PM
Attracting Butterflies Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:13 AM