Old 15-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Steve Harris

Default Lavender/Cabbage White Butterflies

In my front garden, there's a lavender bush which is very popular with
white butterflies.

In the back garden, I have a few brassicas that are similarly popular
with white butterflies. They even lay eggs.

Are these the all the same butterflies?

I was planning a lavender hedge quite close to the vegetable patch for
next year, is this wise?

Old 16-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Helen

Hello.
The white butterflies are using your lavender to feed from (the
nectar) and are using your brassicas to lay their eggs.
Do go ahead with your lavender hedge because I think you will find
that a great number of different butterflies and other insects will
feed from it. My lavenders are currently being used by several
varieties of butterfly to feed from including blues. All types of bees
love it too.
Hope this is of some help,
Helen.
Old 17-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Neil Jones

(Steve Harris) wrote in message ...
In my front garden, there's a lavender bush which is very popular with
white butterflies.

In the back garden, I have a few brassicas that are similarly popular
with white butterflies. They even lay eggs.

Are these the all the same butterflies?

I was planning a lavender hedge quite close to the vegetable patch for
next year, is this wise?

Are they all the same butterflies? Not always there are a number of
species of white butterflies but only two are pests of cabbage.

As to will your planting of Lavender increase the damage to your
cabbages.
I suspect the risk is slight. In fact I can think of reasons why there
might be less damage to the cabbages if more eggs were laid.

Not all the damage by caterpillars is caused by butterfly
caterpillars.
When I was a kid my mother used to go over the cabbages and pick off
the caterpillars. If she found an unusual one she would show it to me.
For example she would occasionally find Garden Tiger moth
caterpillars. They aren't a pest and don't usually eat cabbage but
they can. I experimented with them once and I found nothing they would
not eat not even Japanese Knotweed.

On one occasion she brought me a caterpillar she hadn't seen before.
It was a Large White! (one of the two cabbage eaters) I then asked to
see the other caterpillars she found. Most of them were moths.

Go ahead and plant the lavender. It will also attract the good
butterflies to our garden.

--
Neil Jones-
http://www.butterflyguy.com/
Old 20-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Neil Jones

(Steve Harris) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Neil Jones) wrote:

In fact I can think of reasons why there
might be less damage to the cabbages if more eggs were laid.

Do go on! :-)

Oh boy, this is complicated larger populations may( I stress may)
attract more predators.
For example cabbage whites are attacked by a parasite called Cotesia
glomerata
(formerly Apanteles glomeratus) this is a tiny tiny wasp whose larvae
eat the caterpillars alive. There are other wasps too and they can
emerge from early stages of the caterpillar killing them while quite
small.
Without digging into journals I don't know what is known about the
interactions here and what "density dependent" (to use jargon) effects
have been observed.

I do know that in two other butterflies The Marsh Fritillary which has
a specific parasite called Cotesia Bignelii and the Holly Blue which
has a parasite called Listrodomus nyctherimus the populations have
been observed to be markedly affected by parasite density.
Only the Holly Blue would be really expected in a garden. The Marsh
Fritillary is a listed protected species not usually found in gardens.
(Having said that it used to come into my old garden 20 years ago but
that is like getting a peregrine falcon on your bird table!)