Old 16-08-2003, 02:32 PM
PA

Default shieldbug on tomato plant?

Hello
Yesterday when inspecting my tomato plants (which are in a flower bed) I
found two bugs crawling over them, about 10mm long and a little less wide,
with a shield like body, they are light green with the tips of there legs a
light brown colour.
Done a search on google and I think I have identified them as shieldbugs.
Just been out in the garden and I've found some more of them, they don't
seem to be doing any damage, there are a few holes is some leaves, do I need
to get rid of them if so how?
I've looked in my gardening/vegetables books but I can only find a reference
to them damaging trees.
Are they shieldbugs or have I got it wrong.
Thanks
Paul

Old 16-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Jim W

PA wrote:

Yesterday when inspecting my tomato plants (which are in a flower bed) I
found two bugs crawling over them, about 10mm long and a little less wide,
with a shield like body, they are light green with the tips of there legs a
light brown colour.
Done a search on google and I think I have identified them as shieldbugs.
Just been out in the garden and I've found some more of them, they don't
seem to be doing any damage, there are a few holes is some leaves, do I need
to get rid of them if so how?
I've looked in my gardening/vegetables books but I can only find a reference
to them damaging trees.
Are they shieldbugs or have I got it wrong.

Yes, they are sheild bugs. They are unmistakable.
No you don't need to get rid of them
They feed on things like hazel and ususally do minimal damage to other
plants. They do fly so you find them in other places..

They seem to be a lot of them about in recent years.. Must be a good
time for sheildbugs or something.

Just move them elsewhere if they bother you-)
//
Jim