Old 19-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Dave Moss

Default Red Autumn Sage question

Hello,

We've just had some Desert landscaping completed. Amongst the new
plants and shrubs that we have are some Red Autumn Sage. The leaves
have all dropped off and the plants look decidedly bare. Is this
normal for this plant at this time of year?

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Dave Moss
Old 19-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Dave Moss" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

We've just had some Desert landscaping completed. Amongst the new
plants and shrubs that we have are some Red Autumn Sage. The leaves
have all dropped off and the plants look decidedly bare. Is this
normal for this plant at this time of year?

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Dave Moss

Where in the desert exactly are you located? A hard freeze can cause
defoliation of this plant and if cold enough, death, but it is typically
evergreen in milder climates. If you experience a lot of cold weather in
winter, this salvia may not be a correct choice for your location.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Dave Moss

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message news:9bIEb.88699$8y1.291394@attbi_s52...

Where in the desert exactly are you located? A hard freeze can cause
defoliation of this plant and if cold enough, death, but it is typically
evergreen in milder climates. If you experience a lot of cold weather in
winter, this salvia may not be a correct choice for your location.

pam - gardengal

Pam,

I'm located in St George, SW Utah. We have had some cold nights this
Fall, but I don't believe the temperature has got much lower than
0C/32F.

Dave
Old 20-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Dave Moss" wrote in message
om...
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

Where in the desert exactly are you located? A hard freeze can cause
defoliation of this plant and if cold enough, death, but it is typically
evergreen in milder climates. If you experience a lot of cold weather in
winter, this salvia may not be a correct choice for your location.

pam - gardengal

Pam,

I'm located in St George, SW Utah. We have had some cold nights this
Fall, but I don't believe the temperature has got much lower than
0C/32F.

Dave

Dave, provided you are zone 7 or above, I'm not sure what might be the
problem with your salvia. Was it watered in properly at planting time and
since if the weather has been dry? Not overwatered? I grow several varieties
of Autumn sage and all are still very much in leaf, even though we have had
a couple of nights down into the 20's. I'd suspect some sort of planting
mishap if newly planted and weather has been agreeable. Get your landscaper
back and ask them what's up and if they will replace. Most companies worth
their salt will, specially if the plant fails very soon after initial
planting.

pam - gardengal