Old 23-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Rick Thomas

Default Unknown Catipillar

Just found this in the garden
http://www.offroad.btconnect.com/temp/P8230661a.JPG

Big bugger isn't it?

Any Idea what it is?

Rick

Rick....
--
Yield to temptation - It might not pass your way again.
Old 23-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Sorry dont know what it is but I came across a really hairy one yesterday. I think it sprayed something at me or i must have touched it cos i got really bad allegic reaction to it.

really scrachy and rashes all over. ouch!

Old 23-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Yogi Bear

"Rick Thomas" dont@bother wrote in message
Just found this in the garden
http://www.offroad.btconnect.com/temp/P8230661a.JPG

Big bugger isn't it?

Any Idea what it is?

Rick

Rick....
--
Yield to temptation - It might not pass your way again.

Elephant Hawk Moth??

Old 23-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Malcolm Ogilvie

In article , Rick Thomas
writes
Just found this in the garden
http://www.offroad.btconnect.com/temp/P8230661a.JPG

Big bugger isn't it?

Any Idea what it is?

Elephant Hawk-moth.

Leave it alone and it'll eventually turn into this:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...s/test1/a.html

it feeds on willowherb, fuchsia, etc., so not really a threat to your
garden plants.

--
Malcolm

Old 23-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Rick Thomas

Rick Thomas dont@bother wrote:

Just found this in the garden
http://www.offroad.btconnect.com/temp/P8230661a.JPG

Big bugger isn't it?

Any Idea what it is?

Rick

Rick....

I should have said that I am in Cardiff.
After talking to the neighbors , there are loads of them round here, some even
bigger!!!.

We have moved to the country after being in the inner city, it's "GREAT" all the
wildlife.

Have already seen a slow worm, the hedgehogs frolic on the lawns at night as
well, boy don't they make some strange noises!!

Thanks for the people who identified the caterpillar, I would never have found
it.

Rick...

Rick....
--
Yield to temptation - It might not pass your way again.
Old 23-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Rick Thomas

Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:

In article , Rick Thomas
writes
Just found this in the garden
http://www.offroad.btconnect.com/temp/P8230661a.JPG

Big bugger isn't it?

Any Idea what it is?

Elephant Hawk-moth.

Leave it alone and it'll eventually turn into this:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...s/test1/a.html

it feeds on willowherb, fuchsia, etc., so not really a threat to your
garden plants.

Sod the garden plants, I want more wildlife in the garden.

Heresy, I know, but that's what I feel. I'll grow plants specifically to feed
the bugs (provided I like the bugs that is) and if I like the plants as well,
that's a bonus.

Rick...
Rick....
--
Yield to temptation - It might not pass your way again.
Old 23-08-2003, 10:43 PM
David Hill

".........Big bugger isn't it? ......."

Certainly is, measured 18 inches on my screen when it first came up,

later came the smaller pic. with the ruler.

Elephant Hawk moth, had them a few years ago (Swansea area) but none for the
last 3 years.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Stephen Howard

On 23 Aug 2003 15:52:23 -0500, Rick Thomas dont@bother wrote:

I should have said that I am in Cardiff.
After talking to the neighbors , there are loads of them round here, some even
bigger!!!.

We have moved to the country after being in the inner city, it's "GREAT" all the
wildlife.

Have already seen a slow worm, the hedgehogs frolic on the lawns at night as
well, boy don't they make some strange noises!!

You wait 'til the Owls start bonking!! Wotta racket!!

But seriously folks - if you want to encourage interesting wildlife
into your garden then you're going to have to focus on the 'wild'.

Resist the temptation to be too neat and tidy - and find a spot of a
patch of old carpet.. the slow worms will love it ( and so will the
beetles ), and you'll soon have a thriving colony.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 24-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Neil Jones

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
".........Big bugger isn't it? ......."

Certainly is, measured 18 inches on my screen when it first came up,

later came the smaller pic. with the ruler.

Elephant Hawk moth, had them a few years ago (Swansea area) but none for the
last 3 years.

They are still around David. My parents live a few hundred yards from
your nursery and they had a caterpillar in their garden last week.
It is a very common species. The caterpillar looks very unusual. I've
had them brought to me many times by curious neighbours who know my
interest.
I guessed what it would be even before I saw the picture.
--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn

Old 24-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Rick Thomas dont@bother contains these words:

Have already seen a slow worm, the hedgehogs frolic on the lawns at night as
well, boy don't they make some strange noises!!

Years ago my local bobby (when there *WERE* local bobbies) was called
out to an intruder in a shrubbery.

His torch revealed a pair of hodgehegs in delicto flagrante.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 24-08-2003, 09:12 PM
martin

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:27:02 +0100, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message
from Rick Thomas dont@bother contains these words:

Have already seen a slow worm, the hedgehogs frolic on the lawns at night as
well, boy don't they make some strange noises!!

Years ago my local bobby (when there *WERE* local bobbies) was called
out to an intruder in a shrubbery.

His torch revealed a pair of hodgehegs in delicto flagrante.

Their case come up next week
--
Martin