Old 30-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Smith

Default Storage of apples

Moved in here last year, and there's an apple tree in the garden. This
summer it's laden with the most beautiful russets. I've just picked them,
and will give lots to family and friends, but there will still be hundreds
left. Is there any way to store them and if so, how long can they last in
storage. Will they see me through until next summer?

Thanks in advance
Tracey

Old 31-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Mike Lyle

"Smith" wrote in message ...
Moved in here last year, and there's an apple tree in the garden. This
summer it's laden with the most beautiful russets. I've just picked them,
and will give lots to family and friends, but there will still be hundreds
left. Is there any way to store them and if so, how long can they last in
storage. Will they see me through until next summer?

Without knowing what variety it is we can't say how long it will keep;
but some russets *are* long keepers. At a wild guess, I'd say that if
these ones are always ready this early, they probably aren't. Some
don't develop their flavour till they've been stored, but I don't
think even the longest-lived will keep past February.

Long ago we used to keep ours in the cellar, but a cool but genuinely
frost-free shed or garage is OK, though they don't like much
temperature variation.

If you keep your eye open in the supermarket for those blue or green
papier-maché trays their apples come in, you can use them, in stacks
if necessary. But you have to check every week or two and throw away
any which are showing signs of going off. They mustn't touch, or "the
one bad apple" will infect the rest very quickly. We sometimes also
used to wrap each one in a piece of newspaper: I think this is
probably the best way because it helps to maintain even temperature
and humidity; but they still needed to be checked, which was a bore.

After all this, if you find they aren't a keeping variety after all,
I'm sorry: but at least you'll have found out! So you can make apple
wine instead. (Apple and blackberry is a terrific combination.)

Mike.
Old 31-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Smith
writes
Moved in here last year, and there's an apple tree in the garden. This
summer it's laden with the most beautiful russets. I've just picked them,
and will give lots to family and friends, but there will still be hundreds
left. Is there any way to store them and if so, how long can they last in
storage. Will they see me through until next summer?

They need to be stored in a cool but not too dry place. Various
alternatives - wrap each apple separately in paper so if one rots it
doesn't immediately affect the rest, and store in trays; store in
plastic bags (never tried this); store one-deep in flat trays and
inspect regularly for rot (this is what I do - not necessarily the best
but it suits my lifestyle).

They won't last you through till next summer, but depending on variety
they may see you through till March. there are several different russet
varieties, ripening at different times. Egremont Russet is the one you
see in shops. Mine is Brownlees Russet, which is picked in October or
November, ripens in store and is ready to eat from december to march.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 31-08-2003, 10:12 PM
J Jackson

Smith wrote:
: Moved in here last year, and there's an apple tree in the garden. This
: summer it's laden with the most beautiful russets. I've just picked them,
: and will give lots to family and friends, but there will still be hundreds
: left. Is there any way to store them and if so, how long can they last in
: storage. Will they see me through until next summer?

I'd be surprized if any apple that is ripe now will keep.
Keeping apples tend to not to be ripe till October, and some
arn't ripe then and have to be kept in store to ripen. Same with some
pears. I have Ashmeads kernel which is a russet, and I tend not to pick
that till november, as long as winds and birds allow!

Do you know what the variety is? Is it actually ripe to eat now?

Jim