Old 30-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Liz

Default Planting leeks

In the local market this morning there were some leek plants for sale.
According to my big gardening book it's miles too late to plant them now,
though I've really regretted not growing them this year, my first year of
veggie gardening.

Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now? I'm
about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.

Thanks

Liz

---

Old 30-08-2003, 06:02 PM
The Devil's Advocate

:
: Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now?
: I'm about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.
:
: Thanks
:
: Liz
:
:
: ---

No it is far too late to make anything apart from a little thin leek, still
nothing ventured etc

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 30-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Aphodius

"Liz" wrote in a message:

According to my big gardening book it's miles too late to plant them now,

Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now? I'm
about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.

---
June early July is the right time to plant leeks. As you are so exposed it
does seem that you have missed the boat for this year. However, you have
nothing to lose by trying a few in a sheltered spot.

Aphodius

Old 30-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Liz wrote:
In the local market this morning there were some leek plants for sale.
According to my big gardening book it's miles too late to plant them now,
though I've really regretted not growing them this year, my first year of
veggie gardening.

Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now? I'm
about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.

It's worth a go. They won't thicken up all that much, but there is
nothing inedible about pencil thickness leeks! Just a bit tedious
to prepare ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:16:09 +0100, "Liz" wrote:

In the local market this morning there were some leek plants for sale.
According to my big gardening book it's miles too late to plant them now,
though I've really regretted not growing them this year, my first year of
veggie gardening.

Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now? I'm
about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.

Can you protect them with some wire hoops and polythene? It's
certainly worth a try. Tell everyone you are growing mini-veg!

Pam in Bristol

Old 31-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:16:09 +0100, "Liz" wrote:

In the local market this morning there were some leek plants for sale.
According to my big gardening book it's miles too late to plant them now,
though I've really regretted not growing them this year, my first year of
veggie gardening.

Would they amount to anything if I bought some and planted them now? I'm
about 1,000 ft up in the Pennines. Exposed.

Can you protect them with some wire hoops and polythene? It's
certainly worth a try. Tell everyone you are growing mini-veg!

They don't need protection, as they are extremely hardy. A small
polytunnel could well help by giving them better growing conditions,
but the protection aspect is almost irrelevant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Planting out Leeks Pete[_9_] United Kingdom 9 26-06-2010 11:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM