Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting out Leeks

I normally grow leeks from seeds sown myself in a tray; then when ready to
plant out, we separate each plant and plant out without any soil attached.

This year, the seeds failed to germinate and I bought a number of leek
plants (plugs). Should I plant these out as plugs or remove all the soil
first?

Jeanne

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote ...
I normally grow leeks from seeds sown myself in a tray; then when ready to
plant out, we separate each plant and plant out without any soil attached.

This year, the seeds failed to germinate and I bought a number of leek
plants (plugs). Should I plant these out as plugs or remove all the soil
first?

I know someone who grows his leeks in plug trays and he plants them with the
soil, why would you want to remove it and possibly damage the roots when you
don't need to.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Johnson wrote:
Pete wrote:
I normally grow leeks from seeds sown myself in a tray; then when
ready to plant out, we separate each plant and plant out without any
soil attached.

This year, the seeds failed to germinate and I bought a number of leek
plants (plugs). Should I plant these out as plugs or remove all the
soil first?

Jeanne

I usually have a mix of the two, self-sown and bought. I don't remove
any soil when planting out. They have an established root system in
their plugs/trays and you may damage the roots unnecessarilly, as Bob
points out. Having said that, I find leeks generally very robust in this
regard.

Regards

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.
--
Bill. P
South/West Durham

Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:49:49 +0100, Bill P. wrote:

wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.

and that's the way my father taught me too. I now save all the tubes from
toilet rolls and kitchen paper, and after dibbing a hole for leeks I insert
a cardboard tube before planting the leek which helps the white part of the
leek swell and develop without soil falling in and cramping its growth.

I like the sound of that AriesVal, I'll try that this year.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.

And the way I always plant them.

Not because my grandad taught me, cos I never knew him!

Alan

--
Bill. P
South/West Durham

Old 10-06-2010, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.

and that's the way my father taught me too. I now save all the tubes from
toilet rolls and kitchen paper, and after dibbing a hole for leeks I
insert
a cardboard tube before planting the leek which helps the white part of
the
leek swell and develop without soil falling in and cramping its growth.

That is interesting, I must try to remember that!

Alan

--
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein

Old 26-06-2010, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"Bill P." wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.

And the way I always plant them.

Not because my grandad taught me, cos I never knew him!

Thanks for everybodies contributions here - we have today planted the last
of the bought- in plugs and guess what (:-),
the original seeds have now germinated but as yet are nowhere large enough
to plant out.
Regards
Pete

Planting leeks Liz United Kingdom 5 31-08-2003 01:22 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM