Old 31-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jason Pope

Default What vegetables can I plant now?

Hi

Just wondering whether you budding gardeners out there could give me a
bit of advice about what vegetables I could sow from seed, plant, at the
moment.

I realise the growing season for a lot of things has passed, and I'm
pretty new at this, so just thought I'd pick the brains of those more
experienced than I.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Old 31-08-2003, 04:22 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Jason Pope wrote:
: Hi
:
: Just wondering whether you budding gardeners out there could give me a
: bit of advice about what vegetables I could sow from seed, plant, at
: the moment.
:
: I realise the growing season for a lot of things has passed, and I'm
: pretty new at this, so just thought I'd pick the brains of those more
: experienced than I.
:
: Thanks in advance
:
: Jason

Over wintering onion sets can be planted soon and broad bean seeds can be
sown in October/November depending on where you live. Spring cabbage plants
could still be planted, if you can get hol;d of some plants. Don't forget to
net them against pigeons. Oh and garlic can be planted in the autumn

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 31-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Max Wright

In message , Jason Pope
writes

Just wondering whether you budding gardeners out there could give me a
bit of advice about what vegetables I could sow from seed, plant, at
the moment.

Things you can still sow in early September, if you aren't too far
north:

various chicories such as frisee* and pain de sucre*
lambs lettuce*
land cress
winter lettuces, eg merveille des quatre saisons*
rocket
winter spinach, eg giant winter
oriental mustards, eg green-in-snow, amsoi, giant red mustard
winter radishes, eg belrosa
spring onions

* these all feature in Mr Fothergill's "The French Salad" collection.
Although the packet says sow from March to August I sowed them in
September last year and had useful pickings right through the winter.
I'm in north London, though.

If you can provide some frost protection later on in the form of fleece
or plastic then it's well worth trying other oriental vegetables such as
mizuna, pak choi, choi sum and tah tsai. The beauty of all of these
anyway is that you can eat them young, either raw in salads or steamed
or stir-fried; they don't have to become mature plants in the
conventional sense. Similarly, if you sow turnips now you may not get
much in the way of roots but you will almost certainly get some tasty
greens.

For a good selection of oriental vegetable seeds, try
www.suffolkherbs.com.

Max
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop
Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Mariposa

I'd recomend sowing a japanese onion seed (yellow senshu). The overwinter
and are ready before your outher onions. Keep them weeded though!

--

-Mariposa Alternative Bodycare-
Organic skincare, bodycare and perfumes. Organic and demeter essential oils.

We stock ANIKA Pure Organic Skincare, Barefoot Botanicals, Blake & Fox
Vegetable Based Candles, Body Essentials, Encens D'Auroville, Green People,
Lakshmi Ayurvedic Kajal, Primavera Organic & Demeter, Spiezia Organic Care,
Urtekram, Yaoh Organic Hemp Seed Oil Products.

All available to buy here at our online shop.

www.mariposa-alternative-bodycare.co.uk

PS: Our site has been updated with new products and summer deals.
"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Jason Pope wrote:
: Hi
[...]